𝐈𝐗.

𝐎𝐂𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐈𝐗.

The train hurtles along the track at breakneck speed, spurting forth bursts of fire and steam from its chimney. Inside, Jesper doesn't move an inch from his position against the door, though every so often the rocking and bouncing of the train makes him jolt despite himself. Raisa sits across from Kaz, her head resting against the warm metal wall behind her.

Jesper gives another jump as something outside hits the train. "What was that?" he asks.

Arken hardly looks up as he replies, "I've erected a system of timers along the line. Bits of metal hung on poles to keep me apprised of our pace."

"How did you know where to put the poles?" Kaz asks.

Arken shrugs. "Physics and engineering account for... most of my success."

"And the rest?" Inej asks.

"What we might call divine intervention. What others might call luck. And after all, the Fold is thick with volcra, and the tracks are not complete. Coal, please."

A silence falls over the group. Jesper's eyes go wide. "I'm sorry?" he demands. "Did you say the tracks weren't complete?"

"I said they aren't complete."

"What?" Jesper starts to lean forward, his voice rising.

Arken aims a finger at him. "Ah, ah, ah," he scolds. "No moving. We're a tad late. More coal."

As Raisa lowers to grab the coal, Jesper's hands curl anxiously around the fabric of his jacket as he presses, "Back to the real issue. We're on tracks that don't connect to other tracks?"

"Yes, there's a gap, but- -" Arken begins.

"You said you could get us through," Kaz states.

"How much of a gap?" Jesper demands.

"I built slats on the car," Arken says. "They roll into place under the wheels. The turbine generates enough wind to push us all the way to the eastern track. As long as we don't shift our weight."

A metallic clang rings out from the outside, making Raisa jump despite herself, earning a sharp look from Kaz.

"Now, the noise may attract volcra, but it's the only way across," Arken continues. He pulls a lever and a horrible screeching erupts from outside as the wheels hit ground instead of track. "Now, there's a nest nearby. But we'll be fine. If they haven't attacked us in..."