𝐕.

𝐎𝐂𝐄𝐀𝐍 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑: 𝐕.

Kaz has a lead. A man called 'The Conductor' who works with the stage performer Poppy. Kaz was able to pinpoint him using a woman who had passed through the Fold with her Grisha daughter. If he seems to be promising, they may have just found their way through.

While Inej meets with Tante Heleen at the Menagerie, Kaz and Raisa navigate the Barrel's crowded streets in search of Jesper. They find him near a merchant stall, Kaz calling out, "Jesper! New job. Come along."

For a moment, Jesper stands frozen, until Raisa catches his wrist, dragging him along behind her and Kaz.

There's too many people. Too many noises.

"I mean it," Jesper notes, speeding his pace to match Kaz's long strides. Even Raisa has to nearly sprint to keep pace with him, a startling feat given how tightly he clings to his cane. "We need a demo man," Jesper concludes.

"You're still on that?" Kaz asks.

"I just brought it up tonight."

Kaz shakes his head, a touch of humor in his voice as he says, "Jesper, you ask for an explosives expert on every job."

"Because I don't want to be the one you point to and say, 'Explode something for us'. That is not a Jesper talent. I shoot things with style. And I look good. Just play to my strengths, boss."

"Alina Starkov will be kept at the Little Palace. Entering the Little Palace requires us to be quiet. Raisa will be helpful for that, she can get in without too many questions. If we blow something up, we'll likely fail."

"Then we should take Inej," Jesper says. "She's a good investment. More quiet than I'll ever be. She can't stay here, you know that."

Jesper hesitates, catching Kaz's arm as he realizes where they are. "Whoa. Hang on, aren't we on Pekka's terf now?" he asks.

Kaz pulls his arm free sharply, eyes growing dark as he says, "I go to Heleen now and ask for her buyout, she knows I need Inej and sets a price I can't pay."

Jesper's face twists up at that. "That's evil," he says. "Well, how do you know that?"

Kaz shrugs. "It's what I would do," he says. "Besides, Inej refuses to kill. Would you trust her in a matter of life and death?"

"Well, I've trusted her so far and I'm still alive, so, yeah. Now, you want to tell me why we're scoping out a rival club?"

"To have a talk with an old business partner," Kaz replies.

"The bouncers will know you on sight."

"That's why I brought you. Make sure they don't see us."

"Us?" Raisa asks, but before she can press him further, he's advancing on the Emerald Palace, and she can only follow.

"If Poppy's not inclined to answer, you'll be useful," Kaz says.

And so, while Jesper makes a, frankly, quite good distraction with one of his pistols, Kaz and Raisa slip into the Emerald Palace without notice.

From there, it's easy work finding the room where Poppy is staying.

"Boris, would you- -" Poppy begins, going silent as the realization dawns that it isn't Boris, but Kaz and Raisa at the door.

Kaz offers a smile. "It's been a while, Poppy," he says.

In an instant, Poppy has a gun, hand wavering as they struggle to decide just who to aim at.

"I see you're still upset," Kaz says, still smiling.

"About you stealing my shares of the Crow Club?" Poppy demands.

"I wasn't stealing. It was just a raw deal. Most deals in the Barrel are."

Poppy considers this. They give a nod toward Raisa. "And who's this? Paying off another indenture?"

"This is Raisa Novikov," Kaz says, quite calmly. "She's a Heartrender. Trained at the Little Palace."

That earns a snort from Poppy as they finally lower the pistol. "So you want some sort of answers, then, Dirtyhands?"

Kaz gives a nod. "I need to find someone. Or at least, learn how to find them. Tonight."

"Looking for a club act, are we? Don't see why you need a Heartrender for that."

There's a pause as Kaz considers what to say. "I'm looking for the Conductor," he finally says.

Poppy spins to look at him once more, eyebrows furrowed.

"So you do know him," Kaz says.

Poppy takes a breath. "This is about a job, isn't it?" they ask. "One that sends you all the way east, for a million kruge? You'll never make enough to compete with Pekka, you know? He's a king. You're just the Bastard of the Barrel."

Kaz is silent. He stretches out his cane, brushing aside a pile of jewelry to reveal a business card adorned with the all-too-familiar symbol of the Menagerie.

His eyes lift to meet Poppy's. "Tante Heleen wrote you?" he asks.

"Just this evening, yes, you snoop," Poppy answers. "She was asking about the Conductor as well. Probably about the same job. So I warned him to steer clear of her."

Raisa tenses at that.

"You warned him?" Kaz asks. "With a note?"

Poppy nods simply, unfazed.

Kaz lets out a sharp breath before he elaborates, "She wanted you to do that so she could have the messenger followed."

And then Poppy realizes.

"She wouldn't hurt him, would she?" they ask.

"She would if it meant hurting me," Kaz spits in answer. "Now if you have any loyalty to him, tell me where he is. Right now. I don't want to have to force it out of you."

And Poppy spills everything they know.