32. Gifts Of Love

Start from the beginning

I'm very lucky to have met someone like him. I feel like I'm always telling myself this, but it's like I can't stop. Everyday I wake up and thank God for having someone like him. He cares for me, whenever I tell him I'm not feeling good he always asks me if I need anything. When I need help on an assignment he helps me without any hesitation.

He loves me.

"Well Vero, I think I'm glad to say you'll be an excellent photographer." I jump, hearing Mateo's deep voice right by my ear. I turn my head and look up at him. The warm smile on his face just makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter. His eyes move down to my lips and he starts to lean in. I reach up and connect his lips to mine.

We both pull away at the same time and stare at each other once again. He's just perfect. I love him so much. I look away quickly and pick up my phone. It's only 9:30. I am not going to be able to wait till midnight to give him his present. Might as well do it now.

"It's gonna take forever for it to be midnight. Soooo I'm going to give you your present now." I begin walking to my vanity and pick up the gift. I have a feeling he's going to really like it.

"Oooo I can finally see what you got me," he says as I hand him the gift. We take a seat on my bed and he starts to shake the gift.

"Don't shake it!."

He stops shaking it immediately and chuckles a bit. "Okay. Open it," I clap my hands together and stare at him with excitement written all over my features.

Mateo begins to carefully unwrap the gift, he makes sure that the gift wrap is in one space so we don't have to worry about having a mess. He opens the box and looks at what's inside. His eyes widen and a smile grows onto his face.

"You got me the camera?" He asks as he picks up the polaroid camera he has been wanting. I nod my head and laugh a little. Every time he would come over, he would look at the camera online and I noticed but never mentioned anything to him.

We stay silent for a couple seconds as he looks at the camera with a smile. Mateo sets the camera down gently on the bed and envelops me in a warm hug. His hand runs up and down my back gently. He always finds a way to sooth me.

"Do you like it? I even got you some film in case you wanted to take pictures," I nod my head towards the box, but Mateo grabs my chin and pulls me into a kiss. He pulls away and strokes my hair.

"I love it so much Veronica. Thank you." he pecks my cheek. "I love you."

"I love you Mateo."

His eyes scan my face and he still has a huge grin plastered onto his face. "Well it's your turn to open your present," he says and I sit up straighter. He kept telling me I was going to like the present so I'm very curious to see what he got me.

Mateo gets up, goes to his jacket that hangs in my closet, he pulls out a rectangular box and walks back to bed. "I remember you told me when we went to play laser tag that you liked butterflies. So when I saw this I instantly thought about you Vero." He opens the rectangular box and it shows a gold necklace with a butterfly hanging on it. It's so pretty.

"Mateo, this is perfect," I throw my arms around him and hold him tightly. He remembered that I liked butterflies. It's the little things like this that make me feel special. That makes me feel like no one else could treat me like this. He's my one and only.

"Let me put it on," he whispers into my ear and I pull away. Pulling my hair back, I turn my body so that my back is facing his chest. I feel the small gold chain rest on my neck. The warmth of his fingers sends goosebumps down my spine as he clasps the chain on. I look down at the butterfly and I fall even more in love with Mateo.

"Done," he says and I turn back around to face him. His eyes go down to the necklace and his eyes light up. "You look beautiful Veronica."

"Thank you Mateo." A wide smile forms onto my lips as I lightly touch the butterfly.

It's beautiful.

"Oh, let me take a picture of you with the new camera my girlfriend got me." He wiggles his brows and I lightly push him. He tells me to get ready while he puts the film into the camera. Once he tests the camera to make sure it works, he faces me with and nods his head.

I fix my hair and get ready for the picture.

"1...2...3..." he counts down.

The camera flashes and the picture begins to come out of the camera. He takes it out carefully and sets it down on the nightstand where the light can develop it.

He pulls me to his chest and lays us down on the bed. His hand once agains rubs my back and his other play with my hair.

Although it isn't Christmas yet, I can't hold back from saying it.

"Merry Christmas Mateo."

His head moves down so he can look at me. He kisses my forehead and places his hand onto my face. His thumb gently strokes my cheek and I lightly kiss the palm of his hand.

"Merry Christmas Veronica."