Chapter SEVENTEEN

James POV

It's a beautiful afternoon and Renee and I are walking a worn path that I found a few months after I arrived here. It takes you on a trail that gives a tour of some of the amazing views in Red Dawn.

I decided that I wanted to try to entice Renee to shift into her wolf form. I know she's extremely shy of her disabled wolf but I think letting her wolf out will help with her healing. She's come such a long way in a short amount of time, her skin has a nice rosy color, her body is filling out, she has developed soft curves around her chest and hips, her hair has grown out and resembles a cute pixie cut, and even her scars have faded and aren't as pronounced. Last week I took her into town to get her fitted for a state of the art prosthetic leg. It's better than most people's original legs, she can run, jump, climb,skip, even swim with complete ease. It cost me a pretty penny but it was worth it to see her face light up.

Renee has been a welcome distraction these past weeks. If it wasn't for her I would be in a pathetic condition, curled up in a fetal position sobbing to Taylor Swift songs on the floor of my new room. Don't get me wrong I miss Amber with every fiber of my being but Renee makes the pain tolerable. Everyday we would seek each other out I think we've become each others support system in handling our mate situations. Do I think that I'm an idiot for letting Amber go? Yes every second of the day, but I guess I've been holding on to that old adage if you love something set it free.

I try not to dwell on my problems or Renee may pick up on my mood and fall into her own depression. She still hasn't told me the name of the asshole that rejected her. She probably thinks I will confront him and she's absolutely right I would. I've been itching to release some pent up anger and stress. The Beta/Gamma tournament can't come fast enough.

Despite everything ultimately I'm doing OK and I have hope for my future. Besides I've learned that it's almost impossible for me to stay down in Renee's presence especially when her sweet laughter tickles my ears like it is now.

"That's the worse pick-up line I've ever heard" she giggles into her hand as we walk along a small babbling brook.

"Hey they can't all be winners. I had a whole arsenal of them that I had either read, saw on tv, or heard other guys use. I was desperate to one day get out of that pack and have a normal life like other people in their twenties and one aspect of that including being able to pick up woman."

"You know pick-up lines don't always work on girls right " she gives me a playful smirk.

"Oh I know I even had some specific for rejection too. I'm going to give you example. let's say we're in a bar and I'm trying to get your phone number. I want you to tell me you're in already in a relationship and show me you aren't interested. Ready?"

Renee gives me a nod trying contain a smile.

"Ok here goes....Excuse miss but I was wondering if I could buy you-

"Sorry I have a boyfriend" she says in a teasingly snobby voice turning her nose up and looking away.

"I have a fish" I respond

"Huh?" she looks back to me confused.

"Sorry I thought we were talking about things that didn't matter"

After a beat of silence she breaks out in chuckles "Ooh cocky I like it." she smiles winking her eye at me suggestively.

I smile sheepishly at her subtle flirting.

"Of course one of the reasons to using pick-up lines, besides getting the girl' is to showcase a hopefully likable trait like cockiness, assurance , a sense of humor, sensitivity, etc. It's all an art form."

Losing Her Mate (Book 2 of The Red Dawn Trilogy )On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara