Fifteen

Mick had woken up before the sun even rose above the horizon. The air in their guest room was chilly, and he pulled the duvet higher over Lucia's sleeping figure. Her arm was cradled under her head and her forehead leaned slightly against his chest. His fingertips brushed over her cheekbones, caressing her pretty features. His mind flooded with the memories made last night, how amazing it felt to be intimate with her. Mick felt a warm feeling washing over his chest, drowning his heart as he replayed the little sounds she let out, the loving gaze they exchanged and the way her hands had clutched onto him. He didn't want to wake her yet, so he remained quiet, swiping his thumb back and forth on her cheek or her chin, making sure the blanket wouldn't glide off her shoulders as she moved in her sleep. Mick had a surprise for her, because he wanted to visit the cherry blossoms of Zug, which he had promised her on the very first ride they went when Lucia arrived at the castle.

While their time spend on the road and across the different cities and landscapes of the Swiss Empire was very enjoyable, Mick longed for home as well. That's because he looked forward to properly settle in with Lucia. It was clear to him that they were perfect for each other, his feelings confirmed even more after last night, and he couldn't wait to arrange the castle the way they wanted, to be ki-... Mick interrupted his own thoughts. When looking back at the conversation during dinner, when his mother, Queen Corinna, told him that he had to take the crown because Geneva was going to fuse with Aosta, he wanted to refuse the obligation that was planned out for his future. He didn't want to marry Lucia at all. But Uwe had been right, his mother had been right, that once they would get married, everything would be alright. And now he was even looking forward to reign the kingdom with Lucia as his queen. "You're frowning," her voice sounded softly and his eyes were pulled down to hers.

"Was I?" Mick hummed and Lucia nodded, looking up at him. "I was just thinking about how happy I am and then realized that everyone who told me that it would be alright if we get married, that they were right," Mick explained, making her smile. His hand caressed her cheek again, brushing some of her hair back. "The thought of being bound to someone for life at this age was just really scary," Lucia spoke up. "Until you realize that person is perfect," she added. Mick felt his heart palpitating a little faster. "Can we ehm..." his cheeks coloured slightly pink. "Can we talk about last night?" he started, feeling her fingers spreading over his abdomen, her nails tickling his skin in her featherlight touch as she drew random patterns over his skin. "I loved every moment of it," Lucia replied. "Me too," Mick said, feeling the butterflies in his stomach at the thought of being connected to her in the most intimate way. "What else is left to say about it?" Lucia giggled, making him smile wider.

Mick leaned down, nuzzling his nose against hers before he kissed her tenderly. Lucia placed her hand on his cheek, pulling him down with her. Mick chuckled against her lips, parting from her to see her eyes sparkling. "The sun is already up," Mick commented. "I have a surprise for you after breakfast," he continued, making her lean up on her elbows. "A surprise?" Lucia's curiosity grew. "Yes," Mick confirmed, pecking her lips as he pushed the sheets off his body and swung his legs over the edge of the bed. Lucia pouted, hoping he would tell her a little about it, but he only got up to get dressed. She looked at his lean shoulders and back, the muscles rippling under his skin as he pulled a shirt over his head. Her heart fluttered a little at the thought that this was her king. And honestly, Lucia was eager to return to the castle of Geneva as well. She was used to being around Mick now and she loved the horse rides on Elias, she got to know Mick's friends and the people of Geneva, where she had found her home.

"Are you coming?" Mick asked as she was still under the sheets, causing a grin to tug on his lips as she groaned, leaning her head in her neck. "I'm on my way," Lucia sighed and she got up to get dressed too. Mick was in the bathroom meanwhile, washing his face and wetting his blond strands to style is slightly. Lucia got out of her nightgown and got into a dress she had packed, tightening the corset around her waist again. She tied her hair up in a bun and then went to the bathroom to wash her face as well. Together, they moved downstairs, where they were warmly welcomed at the breakfast table. Lucia sat down on the opposite side of Mick, watching him across the table while she rested her hands in her lap. If she focussed really hard, she could nearly imagine this being the castle of Geneva, the colourful dining room, large windows, gracious curtains and the maids so busy to twirl around the table.

But this dining room didn't have the same, gorgeously painted ceiling.

Or Mick's stories about the Greek myths and the history of the castle.

Lucia reminded herself that he told her that he had a surprise for her and her curiosity grew again. She nibbled on her lower lip, watching him interact with one of the maids who asked him something about the bread. His starlit hues gazed back at her and she felt a loving warmth flooding her chest. He smiled at her and she smiled right back at him.

"So, we're going by horse..." Lucia started while her palm petted Elias' soft nose. "But where?" She questioned. "Somewhere," Mick shrugged, the playful sparkle in his eyes showing that he enjoyed keeping her in the dark. "Hmmff," she huffed, leaning her forehead against the horse's head, his nose nuzzling against her face as if Elias was comforting her. He breezed contently while Mick moved the brush over his back, cleaning his fur by scrubbing the dirt off his legs from the mountain paths they had walked yesterday. Elias was in good shape and he looked fit and alert, not tired out from the long trip they had made so far. Mick lifted the saddle on Elias' back, adjusting it before moving the strap under his stomach and securing it on his back. Mick adjusted the bridle next, holding Elias by his reigns while they walked out of the stable. The other horses of the castle of Zürich had been curious to see the newcomer and some of them still watched them with their ears perked up.

Mick easily hopped onto the horse and he could sense Elias was eager to go out for a joyride again. He reached down for Lucia, who jumped up to meet his grasp and he lifted her onto the horse. His arms curled around her again, his fingers tightening around the reigns and Elias gladly started walking into the grass. Lucia leaned back against Mick's chest, feeling his lips kissing her cheek. The sun was shining and the feeling of the freedom they had right now, felt amazing. She grew to love these rides with Mick and Elias, it were the moments she had cherished the most so far, including her growing intimacy with Mick. Mick took his time to ride to the cherry blossoms, showing her the beautiful landscape and the paths which he rode with his father. "My dad and I did this same trail a lot of years ago. I think I was ten or eleven back then," Mick started. "Do you miss it?" Lucia asked, one of her hands placing on top of his. "Yeah, I do," Mick replied. "Riding with my father formed everything in my life when I was a kid," he told her.

"Before kingdoms, kings and queens and the fusion of regions were important," he chuckled. "I never give up hope. In the future we will ride together again," Mick said. Lucia smiled up at him, admiring his courage and positivity. Mick's character and personality are so vivid. In the distance, the pink flowered trees were visibly and Mick knew they were right on time before the flowers would start to fall down to the ground and the trees lost their colourful being. "Oh! The cherry blossoms," Lucia beamed when she finally noticed what the surprise was. "I remember you told me that Zug has the most beautiful cherry blossoms and that you'd take me there," Lucia continued, her hands placing on his wrists to curl his arms tighter around her. Mick chuckled at her happy expression, gladly pulling her closer to his chest. "I promised you, didn't I?" he hummed, kissing her cheek again while Elias walked towards the path, his hooves moving through the already fallen flowers.

The lane of cherry blossoms seemed to be endless and the colours of the flowers were so bright with the sun shining and the mountains visible in the background. Mick halted Elias and helped Lucia to get down to the floor, he hopped off himself as well and he took Elias' reign, loosely knotting them around a pole of the fence, so he could still nibble on some of the grass. Mick's fingers danced down her arm and their fingers entertwined while they walked under the cherry blossom trees. "It's beautiful here," Lucia commented and Mick nodded. "I thought you'd like it," he smiled. They continued to walk in silence, till Lucia turned towards him, halting them both in their steps. Mick's lips automatically curled upwards when he looked into her beautiful, dark chocolate eyes, his hands finding the small of her waist while her hands rested on his chest. "You're gorgeous," Mick complimented her, leaning more towards her and she giggled as she leaned back, but he effortlessly pulled her close to kiss her.

"I'm so in love with you," Mick whispered against her lips, his words causing her heart to palpitate a little faster. "I feel the same way about you, Mick," Lucia replied, the same flame burning in her chest as she had felt last night. His crystal eyes gazed into hers before he kissed her firmly again. "Let me rephrase..." Mick softly said. "Lucia, I love you." Her smile grew wider and her arms wrapped around his neck, his grasp on her waist tightening as he twirled her around. "I love you too," she said and he let out a laugh of happiness, capturing her lips between his again.