Eleven

After a ride of an hour they had reached the cozy streets of Aosta, little houses build along the roman roads, viae publicae, on which Elias' ironed hoves clacked on the stone with his solid steps. The coachman and the carriage was just behind them and the people came out of their houses to see the king and the queen, surprised by the sight of them riding on a horse together instead of being seated in the carrier. They could see the castle of Aosta up on the hill and the followed the road, waving at the people while Elias breezed impatiently, not such a fan of all the people around him. Lucia could see her sisters in the distance, waiting for her in front of the gates of the castle, visibly excited to see their oldest sister again. "I already told you about my sisters, right?" She asked and Mick nodded. "You have, especially the one who thought we'd be great together," Mick grinned as he heard her scoff and she looked up at him over her shoulders, nevertheless smiling back at him.

"She was right in the end," Mick kissed her cheek as he leaned forward. "Don't tell her, please," Lucia sighed and he chuckled, holding a little tighter onto the reins of Elias to make him slow down. Her sisters started waving and Lucia waved back while they approached the castle further. "Lucia!" her youngest sister squirmed, she was four years old and holding onto the hand of Ludovica, who was staring up at the gigantic Frisian horse stopping in front of them and breezing hard, shaking his manes afterwards and content by the eyes that were directed on him. Mick got swiftly down to the ground and his hands curled around Lucia's waist to lift her off Elias' back. She reached for the reins and Mick took them from her. "You've been away from the castle for so long," Ludovica pouted while she moved to embrace her oldest sister. "I know, Ludovica," Lucia chuckled. Ludovica hugged her tightly, looking over at Mick.

"Did he get even more handsome over time?" She whispered and Lucia grabbed her firmly by her shoulders, the look in her eyes telling her to not embarrass her too much while this would be the first proper meeting of her family with Mick. "And there's my little Lidia," Lucia cooed, lifting her littlest sister into her arms and she laughed with happiness. "Ooh, shiny," Lidia commented, reaching for the crown on Lucia's head. "Careful there, Lidia," Lucia looked up at the sound of her mother's voice, who looked at her with tears in her eyes. "My princess became such a gorgeous queen," Silvia of Aosta said. Lucia carefully put Lidia back down on the floor and embraced her mother too. "Mom, sisters, please, meet Mick again," Lucia said as she stepped back and moved towards Mick again, his hand slotting around her waist to hold her close. His crown was sparkling in the sunlight and she was assured that he stood next to her confidently. "How much you remind me of your father," Silvia shook her head, bowing for both of them.

"Your father is inside, commanding all the staff around," Silvia continued with a roll of her eyes. "Let's get there, the guards will take the horse and give him some food and water in our stables," Mick was skeptical at first, however handed over the reins and Elias walked along with a guard. Silvia marched towards the entrance of the castle in front of them and Lucia and Mick stayed behind a little to slowly follow her. "Sorry for that, you must get those comments about your father all the time," Lucia sighed, feeling his fingers trailing down her arm and eventually finding her hand to intertwine his fingers with hers. "It's alright," Mick replied. "I'm embracing it by now. My father was a great king and I aspire to follow in his footsteps. I hope that I remind people of my father in a good way," Mick explained and she nodded, squeezing his palm in response. Mick and Lucia walked into the castle and Lucia guided him to their dining room. Experiencing the atmosphere in the castle of Aosta again after such a long time, she realized she preferred their castle, the castle where she slept next to Mick, where she dined with him every evening and where was Elias' home too.

Mick shoved a chair at the table for her and she sat down, happy to have him seated next to her. Her father entered after a couple minutes, loud as ever. "The king and queen! Sit and dine."