Seven

Lucia didn't know how long they were riding already, however Elias' ears were still perched up right and she was seated comfortably in front of Mick, his arms still curled around her to hold the reins of the horse. Mick told her they were about to come to the cherry blossoms. They had went down the hill and into the forrest, the rays of sun shining through the trees. Lucia enjoyed it a lot and it helped her to feel more at ease with the prince too. So far he had been nothing but a gentleman to her and she appreciated that he did his best to make her feel at home in the castle of Geneva. "Look, here we are," Mick spoke up and she looked in front of them, watching the forrest open slightly to welcome the pink cherry blossoms. "Oh, that's beautiful," Lucia said, looking up as Elias stepped under the trees, the pink flowers twirling around and creating a soft carpet on the grass. "Let's stay here for some time," Mick suggested and she nodded. Elias halted and Mick swiftly got off his back, helping Lucia to get down to the ground as well.

Elias turned his head, his nose nuzzling against her side and she smiled, her hand petting his large nose. "I'm getting him some water from the lake, do you mind holding him?" Mick asked, holding out the reins to her. "Me?" She gasped. "He won't walk away," Mick chuckled and she took the reins from him, holding them in both of her hands even though Elias breezed contently and swatted his tail against some flies, looking around and sniffling the grass beneath his feet. Lucia moved her fingers through his long manes and petted his fur, feeling his body that was warmed up by the sun and the walk all the way to here. Mick returned not much later, his flask filled with water and he held something behind his back that made her frown at his posture. "These are for you," he said, taking the flowers from behind his back and showing her the colorful ones he had plucked for her. "These are gorgeous," she smiled. She had never received flowers from a man before, let alone a prince.

"Thank you," Lucia said and he looked into her sparkling eyes, feeling the butterflies in his stomach. Mick smiled back at her, moving the flask to his lips to have a sip of water as well. He offered it to her and she took it too, realizing how dry her throat was after a long ride. Mick let Elias drink the water from his hand, knowing he wouldn't want much as Elias had his bucket of water this morning before they left anyway. Mick looked up at the sun, it was past noon and they should get back if they wanted to be in time before the sunset. "It's time to return to the castle," Mick announced and he hopped back into the saddle. He lifted Lucia up effortlessly like the previous times and she was seated in front of him again. He turned Elias around and one of his hands lifted to shake the branches of the cherry blossoms, causing the flowers to fall down and Lucia squealed as they rained down on her. She laughed next, the bright sound making his heart palpitate a little faster. He spend the rest of the ride back up the hill to take the flowers out of her hair, while Lucia was invested in the little flowers he had gifted her before.

"We have dinner tonight with your mother and sister, right?" Lucia asked. "Yes," Mick replied. "What do they think of our marriage?" Lucia continued. "I think they support it," Mick said. "My mother's delighted that you're from our neighbouring Kingdom. She supports the fusion too, however you don't know each other well. I'm sure she will open up more, starting by tonight," Mick added. "And their generation, of our parents, they are used to this, these traditions, forced marriages to support political situations," he finished and she nodded, knowing he was right. "I still hope your family will accept me, no matter what happens between us," Lucia said, not wanting to sound pessimistic, they were having a good time together, but it was only her first full day in Geneva. Mick agreed silently behind her. They didn't talk much on the way back to the hill, yet the silence was not awkward. Lucia was twisting the end of her braid between her fingers, looking out over the meadows while Elias stepped through the grass.

She didn't know how much time passed, but they arrived back at the castle. It was clear that the evening would start to fall soon as the fresh breeze cut through her dress and it made her shiver. Mick let Elias stop in front of the stables, getting off first before lifting Lucia to the ground. "Are you cold?" he asked, looking down at her and she nodded. Mick took his cape from around him, wrapping it around her shoulders. She kept looking up at him meanwhile, mesmerized by the caring look in his eyes. He smiled at her as he caught her eyes and a blush showed up on her face. Mick tied Elias' reins to the door of the stable and then took the saddle off his back. One of the workers already took it from him, waiting to receive further orders. Another one put down the bucket of brushes and fresh water for Elias. Lucia watched Mick as he quickly brushed the dirt off Elias' legs and his fur, her hands fiddling with the soft material of his cape. It didn't take long before Elias was done with the attention and nuzzled his nose into the bucket of water, eager to get into the stable and get started with his hay.