Thirteen

Lucia snuggled her head deeper into Mick's chest when she started to wake up. She could sense the light coming through the creaks and cracks of the wooden construction of the barn, Elias' soft breezing breaths on the other side of the wall gently audible. The sun must have just risen above the horizon, Helios had flown through the skies in his golden chariot, bringing the day like he did each morning. Lucia couldn't sleep anymore, the sleepy feeling slowly leaving her body while she still rested her head on his chest. She counted his heartbeats that were steadily beating under her ear and she remained silent in his arms, enjoying his embrace, adoring the soft touch of his fingertips that rested on her waist. A blush crept up her cheeks at the thought of how intimate they were last night. She had never been kissed like that before and she felt her body getting warm at the remembrance of how close he had been to her, how the weight of his body on top of hers had felt.

Comfortable was what came to her mind right away. He made her feel comfortable. Unconsciously, her fingertips had been drawing circles on his chest, his nails gently tickling his skin and causing him to hum softly, his eyelids fluttering, and he squinted at the light of the dawn, bringing his arm over his head to slowly adjust to the light. "Good morning," Lucia spoke up. "Good morning," Mick's voice rasped a little, and he cleared his throat afterwards, laying comfortably back onto the make-shift pillows. His arm around her tightened, his hand briefly caressing up and down her spine and finding the soft ends of her hair, twirling them around his fingers while he closed his eyes again. Lucia looked at his handsome face, resting her eyes on his features, the sharp jawline, his blond eyebrows and light, yet long lashes that decorated his face. His skin was flawless and his cheeks were cute in a boyish way, his lips plump and soft as they had kissed hers so tenderly last night.

"Staring is impolite, you know?" Mick asked, a playful tone to his voice as he opened one of his eyes to peak at her. "Hmm, I don't think so," Lucia muttered in response, turning her body slightly, so she could look at him a little better. A smile tugged on her lips when he looked at her, both of his crystal eyes opened. His bright hues had the colour of the sky, of the heavens above, pools filled with clear, blue water on a sunny day like this one. He had the prettiest eyes she had ever seen. "Did you sleep well?" Mick asked and she nodded. "A bit sore from the hard underground, but it was fine," Lucia replied, stretching her back briefly. Her hand reached out to cup his cheek, her thumb brushing back and forth over his cheekbone. Mick turned his head to kiss her palm, turning to his side afterwards to look at her and he leaned down to kiss her softly. "The sun already rose," Mick spoke. "We should get dressed and go inside for some breakfast," he continued, and she agreed.

Both of them got up and dusted off the blankets they slept under, folding them to lessen the work of Maria and Jean. Lucia got into her dress again, tightening the corset behind her back. She braided her hair for today, quickly sectioning her hair into three parts before braiding into a simple braid down her back. They were dressed and ready, their luggage would be put into the carriage soon, and they would be ready to go after eating some breakfast. Maria and Jean were awake and already expecting their special guests. Maria had outdone herself again to make sure that the table was neat and crowded with plates with different kinds of food she had prepared from what they grew on their meadows. "So, where will you be travelling next?" Jean asked, swirling the nettle leaves around in the cup of hot water, the nettle taste slowly absorbed. "Bern and Zurich, the most important cities politically, then we will head back home," Mick replied. "Visiting the duke of Bern I see," Jean hummed.

"Do you know something about him?" Mick asked. "Your father and him never got along. But I heard that his son had risen to take his title. I'm sure your visit will be fortunate," Jean said and Mick nodded slowly, his jaw slightly clenching at the thought of Bern being hostile towards Geneva, however, if the son had taken over now, Mick was slightly comforted that it would be alright. He is the king now after all, they had to obey him. A gentle grin tugged on the corners of his mouth at the thought. He wasn't going to misuse his power of course, but he could show that he was able to stand for his title. Elias was all saddled up after breakfast and the carriage was ready, the coachman gently bowing before he took his seat and held the reins of the two horses which had gotten their well deserved rest last night as well. Maria had refilled Mick's flask with water, and she couldn't let it but give them some fruits to snack on during the ride. Lucia's heart was full of them, and she felt even a little sad to leave them, but Mick assured her they would be able to travel back to Lausanne in the near future.