The Roof

Characters

Tristan (Rue): a transgender male who struggle with getting other to accept him

Delilah: Tristan's sister who bullies her brother and calls him by the wrong name

Claramond (Clara): Tristan's cousin and one of the few people that actually support him

Artemis: Tristan's closest friend that he recently came out to

Setting

Time: Present

Place: Tristan's apartment

The stage resembles the top of a building. There is a small wall around the whole stage that looks to be made out of bricks. There is a small room in the back right of the stage for the stairs leading to the roof. Only Tristan is on the roof. He stands on the wall that looks to the audience. He breathes heavily as tears slip from his eyes. He holds a phone in his left hand.

Tristan, hopelessly: My name is Tristan! Why can't anyone see that?

The door to the stairs opens to reveal Clara and Artemis. Both of the young women freeze when they see how close to the edge Tristan is.

Clara, frighten: Tristan!

Tristan turns and looks back to the two people that he loves most. He takes a step away from them and closer to the edge. He is visibly shaking.

Tristan, broken: I'm sorry.

Artemis, choked: Tristan, please, I can't imagine a world without you in it.

The door opens a second time. Delilah steps onto the roof. She does not look shocked to see her brother like this.

Delilah: Rue, what are you doing? Stop acting like a child.

Clara, enraged: His name is Tristan! Don't you even care about the fact that he doesn't want to be here because he keeps getting misgendered? Don't you care that he has been driven to the edge because you are too self centered to say his name?

Delilah, self-justifying: I'm not comfortable with calling her that name.

Artemis: Him! He is a him, not a her! You don't even use the correct pronouns! You make him break down at least once a week because you aren't comfortable with his name! He has asked you several times what you would be comfortable calling him by that isn't his deadname and you keep blowing it off! He finally chose a name that he likes and so many people got used to calling him that and now you say something! He finally starts loving himself and you tear him apart! 

Delilah: I've been going through a rough time these last couple of months and I need to focus on my mental health before I could worry about other people who change everything about themselves overnight.

Artemis: He came out over a year ago and told you when he first started questioning six months before he came out! Even if it has been a rough couple months, you have had a year to at least call him by his name at least once!

Delilah: Well, she is faking it anyways. I know a transgender who pulled out his hair when he was little because he wanted to be a boy. Rue did nothing like that. She also wore a lot of dresses when she was little.

Clara: Not everyone's experience is the same. Tristan may not have pulled out his hair, but he always hung around boys in elementary school. He always told me that he felt like he fits in more with boys than he did girls. And it was your mother that put him in dresses. She loved dressing you both up, but you refused to wear dresses, so she dressed Tristan up instead.

Delilah: She still didn't show enough signs as a child.

Clara: What more do you want from him? He told you about how he didn't feel like he belonged when we were young. When we got older and the changes in his body started, he got extremely depressed and barely ate. Isn't that enough evidence?

Delilah, offended: How could you pick her side when all she wants is attention? I see the phone in her hand, so I know she called Artemis. She is trying to make me look like the bad guy! I haven't even done anything.

Artemis: Tristan didn't call me. I called him. I heard him sobbing on the phone, so I came as fast as I could. You clearly think you know everything about the situation, but you know barely anything. Do you even love or care about him? 

Delilah, snappy: I don't have to listen to you! Why are you even here? You're not even family!

Tristan, almost screaming: Family is thicker than blood! Artemis is more family to me than you'll ever be!

Delilah: No, she isn't. Stop being so dramatic. She wasn't the one who saved you during your last attempt! I was!

Tristan, hurt: Were you? You were the one that was putting me down not even twenty minutes before. The only reason why you even got to me was because you told Mom that I locked the door and you forgot something in my car. Mom was the one that called for help. You didn't even come outside until you heard Mom yelling.

Delilah: Where is Mom now? She doesn't call you her son. You were ready to lose everyone and everything for the little attention you get on social media. You lost all the things that I said you would lose and you blame me for warning you.

Tristan, booming: I have not lost everyone! I lost several of my friends and family, but I have something that you don't! Loyalty!

Delilah: I have loyalty!

Tristan: Really? What is my name, then? Go on! Say it!

Delilah: Rue!

Tristan: Wrong. I lost nothing today, but you have. You lost me.

Tristan steps off the wall and onto the roof. Artemis and Clara run to him and hug him tightly. Tristan hugs back.

Tristan: Thank you.

Artemis: Please, don't ever do that again. I care for you way too much to lose you.

Clara pulls away from the hug and looks at her other cousin. She stands in front of Artemis and Tristan and glares at Delilah.

Clara, sternly: Leave, Delilah. You aren't welcome here or anywhere near Tristan again. I will make sure you stay away from him from now on.

A tear slips from Delilah's eyes. She has a hurt expression on as she turns to leave. Tristan falls to the ground right after Delilah closes the door. He starts to cry. Artemis crouches on the ground and brings him into her arms. She starts to cry with him. Clara walks over and rests a hand on his shoulder. She is slightly shaking in rage.

Artemis: I'm so sorry, Tristan. Things will get better, I promise. I will do what ever I can to ensure that you are safe.

Clara, mouthing to Artemis: Tell him.

Clara gives Tristan's shoulder a squeeze before leaving. She hesitates at the door before looking back and giving them both a reassuring smile. She walks through the door.

Artemis: Tristan, I have to tell you something and I want to tell you now. I was waiting until the right time, but I almost lost you and I am not willing to come that close again. Tristan, I want to be more than just friends and I've felt this way for a long time. I love you and I want to be part of your family. Tristan, will you be my boyfriend?

Curtain closes before Tristan answers.