3. Just A Name

Zhou Zishu fixed the blanket over Wen Kexing and brushed the hair away from his face. He smiled at the familiar sound of his light breaths and the adorable sleepy hums that he deeply missed. Zhou Zishu couldn't sleep, he even refused to blink or look away, in fear that Wen Kexing would disappear again. He sat on the table and ordered some cold wine, sipping the cups as his eyes never left Wen Kexing who fell asleep as soon as he laid in bed. He seemed like he hadn't slept in a warm comfy bed for a really long time.

Zhou Zishu gathered the melon seeds that Wen Kexing gave him and secured them into a small pouch. He had a million questions swimming in his mind; yet he couldn't bring himself to ask him any of them. He wanted to know how he spent the last seven years, where he stayed and how he ended up on the streets; he wanted the names of everyone who harmed and insulted him. He wanted to ask him what he remembered and what he didn't... and many more questions that Wen Kexing probably didn't have the answers for.

Zhou Zishu poured himself another cup of wine as he thought of how much longer he could maintain this lie. He had tried to act as normal as possible, but the more he talked to him the more he wanted to tell him everything, to tell him that he's his soulmate who sacrificed everything to heal him, how he lost him seven years ago and how grateful and happy he was that he finally found him.

And he lost the map of his landscape of thoughts before the wine took him into deep sleep.

"Gongzi."

"..."

"Gongzi..."

"Ah?" Zhou Zishu dropped his head that was resting on his hand which was now numb from the heavy weight, "Lao Wen!" He frantically grabbed him and exhaled in relief that he was still there. "You're here." He was thankful and pleased that Wen Kexing didn't run away when he was asleep.

"I waited for you to wake up." Wen Kexing said, "but it's almost noon and you were still asleep." He looked down, "I apolo-"

"Do not apologize." Zhou Zishu rubbed his head to relieve the hangover, "are you hungry? Did you eat?"

"I ate the leftover rice from last night..."

"What?" Zhou Zishu was concerned, "why didn't you order new dishes?"

"I..." Wen Kexing played with his fingers shyly, "I have no money..."

Zhou Zishu reached out and placed his wallet on the table, "next time don't eat leftovers."

"Aren't you afraid I might take it and run away...?" Wen Kexing asked reasonably.

"You can take it," Zhou Zishu stood up and gazed at him, "but don't run away." He fixed his clothes and walked past him to pack his belongings.

"Gongzi!" Wen Kexing followed him, "why are you so nice to me?"

Zhou Zishu halted and smiled again, "how many times do you have to ask?"

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"Being nice to me, giving me food and shelter, I haven't been treated this way before." Wen Kexing sighed, "I'm too much trouble for you."

Zhou Zishu's heart ached again, he approached him and leaned close, closer than usual. "I am a lonely wanderer just like you, rich or poor doesn't matter." He leaned an inch closer, "and as a wanderer in this world, all I need is- a companion." He was afraid to seem impatient and persistent, but it was truly hard for him to contain his overflowing emotions.

"And..." Wen Kexing had more words.

"What is it?" Zhou Zishu asked softly, struggling to prevent himself from caressing Wen Kexing's face, "what's wrong?"