04

i used to have dreams of us laying in a vast meadow under the starry night sky. and to my surprise, dreams really do come true.
-
we lay side by side, your calloused hand reaching for mine, in the grass that so desperately needed a trim but maybe it didn't. there was beauty in that untrimmed grass as there was beauty in your untrimmed hair. i started appreciating the greenery more that night.

our fingers intertwined and you traced little circles into the palm of my hand that sent shivers throughout my body. your eyes stayed glued to the sky while you talked about it with such passion, pointing out the stars that captivated you most. you asked which stars caught my attention but the only star i could bring to mind was you.

your other hand stretched to the sky, your pointer finger drawing lines in the crisp air to show me what pictures were portrayed within the stars. cute. but every time i looked at them it only reminded me of the freckles that were spotted across your face. i started appreciating the celestial bodies more that night.

you turned to face me while interlocking our hands and smiled. it's insane really because i saw more galaxies in those eyes than i did in the sky above us. the dark night caused your golden locks to perceive as caramel and your freckles to fade away yet you still looked like a god; holy

letting my hand go, you reached for my muddled hair and ran your fingers through, uttering out three words that caused my breath to hitch. i love you. i've heard it more times than i can count from between those pink lips of yours but every time it was said felt like the first.

i returned the smile. you told me my smile was so mesmerizing and that you could get lost in the sparkle of my eyes. i swear my smile extended ear to ear. you pulled me closer, our bodies inches apart, and put your forehead against mine. i never felt more safe than in your presence,, than in your arms.

i love you, i said.

i love you more, you replied.