50. To the twenty first century!!

Start from the beginning

Jeongguk smiled at the group fondly and turned around to look for his mother. But instead of finding her, he found another group of ladies hugging under a tree. He hated to break them up, but he had to find his mother. 

"Jeongie, did you see my mother?" he asked after walking up to them. "She didn't come out. Something about not being able to say goodbye to you" Jeongyeon said. 

Jeongguk's heart shattered. He wasn't very close to his mother. He had grown up with his hyungs around him more than his mother, but he still loved her a lot. 

He walked up to her mansion. "Eomma" he called out. It broke his heart to see her cry onto his step mother's shoulder. 

"Go away" Jihyo cried. Jeongguk looked at his step mother and gave her a small nod. Dahyun gave him a sad smile and left the room with a pat on his shoulder. 

Jeongguk walked up to his mother and wrapped his arms around her. "I love you, Eomma" he whispered. Jihyo took a minute to stabilize herself before taking her head off his shoulders. 

"I shouldn't cry like this. I should send you off happily" she said and wiped her tears furiously. Jeongguk gave her a fond smile. "It's alright to cry, Eomma" he said and Jihyo could hear his voice break as well. 

"I will miss you, Jeonggukie" Jihyo cried. "I will miss you too, Eomma. I love you. Take care of yourself" Jeongguk said. "I love you too, my baby. You take care too. You are going to an unknown place" Jihyo said. "I will, Eomma. You don't miss me too much, alright?" Jeongguk said. "Alright" Jihyo said and sniffled. 

"Now come with me and see me off" Jeongguk said and pulled her to her feet. "Let go, I can walk" Jihyo said with a small pout. "Who said you can't?" Jeongguk asked. "Brat" Jihyo said and slapped her son on his back. 

"Don't cause too much trouble wherever you go. Take care of your husband well. Eat well, sleep well, dre-"

"Eomma. Chill. Relax" Jeongguk said and chuckled heartily. 

Jihyo chuckled as well. "How much time do you have left?" she asked. "A few more minutes. Why?" he asked. "Just like that. Did you say goodbye to everyone?" she asked. 

"No, there's one left" Jeongguk said. "Ohh. Go, then. I'll wait for you at the arena" Jihyo said and pushed Jeongguk forward. "Okay, okay. Bye!! Don't cry while I'm gone!" Jeongguk exclaimed and walked away from her. 

"Your Majesty" the new guard outside the stables greeted Jeongguk. "Get my horse" Jeongguk said after giving him a nod. "Yes, Your Majesty" the guard said and returned with Firecannon. "Leave us" Jeongguk said and waited for the guard to leave. 

Once the guard left, he put his hand on Firecannon's face and stroked it gently. "Goodbye, hero. I'll miss you. No horse has ever run the way you do and I'm really gonna miss riding you. I love you, hero" he said. 

As if he understood his master, Firecannon bent lower and snuggled into his master's touch with a low whine. 

Jeongguk chuckled at that and stoked him again before walking back to the arena. 

"Are you done?" Jimin asked once he spotted Jeongguk. Jeongyeon and Taehyung were already by his side. 

"Yeah, I'm done. Let's go" Jeongguk said and hugged his friends and brothers and his mother one last time before getting into the carriage. 

"Wait" he said and froze at the entrance of the carriage. 

"What is it?" Taehyung asked. "I'm gonna come on my horse. You guys go on" Jeongguk said and got down from the carriage. 

"I'll come too" Taehyung said and got down as well. 

"Well, it leaves us two" Jimin said with a smug look directed at Jeongyeon. 

Jeongguk rolled his eyes and scoffed before ordering the carriage man to start moving. The two of them walked towards the stables and this time, Jeongguk brought his horse out by himself. 

"Hop on" Jeongguk said after climbing onto it. Taehyung grinned widely and climbed onto the horse immediately. "Show us your best one last time, Firecannon!!" he exclaimed. 

As if he understood him, Firecannon neighed loudly and lifted his front legs up before stomping loudly on the ground and taking off, leaving a trail of dust behind them. 

Once they reached the port, Jeongguk halted the horse and the two of them got down. He stroked the horse once again and let Taehyung have a moment with it. Once Taehyung was done, he put his hand on the horse's face and smiled at it. 

"You did a great job serving me all these years, hero. Go and enjoy your life now" he said and gave it a one last pat before setting it free. 

"He was great" Taehyung said in a daze as he watched the horse gallop away from them to enjoy its newfound freedom. 

"He was" Jeongguk said proudly and turned to Taehyung. 

"Let's go. Jimin hyung and Jeongie might have reached the ship already" he said. 

"Right. Let's go......to the twenty first century!!" Taehyung exclaimed loudly. 

"To the twenty first century" Jeongguk whispered.