Movement pulled me away from our conversation as her sister Neith moved towards the door. She was taking the children into the hall, and I knew they would be in the exact path of the infiltrators. Asteria didn't even flinch as she asked, "They will be used as leverage to prevent attack, won't they?" I nodded and said to her, "Yes but they won't do much as hurt them before I get to them."

She nodded before I said, "One for you, one for me. I'll make sure to get the one from summer court. He needs to be shown that treason and treachery won't be taken with kindness." Asteria nodded and said, "Do you know which court the others are from?" I shook my head before I said, "Only the main male. The others aren't my priority." She nodded before I heard movement behind us.

I pulled back into the shadows of the bookshelf, drifting into the coldness of the shadow realm. I heard the door slam open before I recognized the Illyrian warrior. Asteria's cousin, Davina was striding into the loft with her wings tucked protectively against her back.

Asteria pretended to not notice her but by the arch in her shoulders and the way her feet already twisted to the side, I knew she was aware of her approach. Davina smiled and said, "You know if you wanted to watch us like chess pieces that's fine, but you could have at least made us aware of where you were."

Asteria shrugged her shoulders as she turned and said, "I had business to attend to." Davian rolled her eyes and said, "Yes because creepily stalking from above is business." Asteria looked towards my corner and I fade farther into the shadows before Asteria said, "I did. You'll see." Davina shook her head.

I looked at her closer to see the differences between her and the other Illyrian below. She looked Illyrian with her sleek dark hair cut right at her shoulders and tan skin marred with scars. Her eyes were a odd blue though. If a little lighter they would look silver. It was an odd feature for an Illyrian. However even with her looks and short stature she looked deadly. In sleeveless Illyrian leathers her shoulders were wide with muscle and her arms tense with strength. Her wings pulled closely together held enough muscle that they looked deadly.

Davina didn't comment but came to lean against the railing. She looked out over the group and said, "This worries me. The rebellion I mean. How many of our family will we lose before they are defeated?" Asteria didn't flinch as she said, "It's possible we will lose some, but not if I have a say in it." She looked over her shoulder at me and despite she couldn't see me I knew it was a silent pled.

For so long she was my only connection to other courts, to someplace good that wasn't the fear that encased the castle of the summer court because of my mother. I knew I would do anything in my power to protect my friend, but I didn't know about her family which I barely knew. Asteria turned back to Davian and said, "Nyx and I will figure out a way to get us all out of this."

I perked at the mention of the future high lord. Like the future high lord Ceram, he would be next in line for the power. I could feel the strength radiating in the room but I assumed it was their father not him. I've never actually met him, despite all thats said about him. In the summer court he is fawned over for his beauty, and everyone talks about the strength of his magic. I've never commented for the fact that I've never met him. I knew I would, but I never thought I would meet him like this.

Davina seemed comforted by that and said, "I hope you do. I don't think Karyan or Neith can take anymore death in their life." I smiled at the mention of Karyan. I ran into their young spy occasionally and we always had an agreement to never mention what either was caught doing. Their was a mutual trust that we were on each other's sides but never anything close. It probably could be a friendship if we ever talked to one another.

Asteria smiled and said, "I don't think Karyan would have a problem. It just depends on who it is. Neith would fracture like glass." Her smile dropped at the end before Davina said, "Enough with the sadness. Nyx is waiting for us." She nodded and turned one last time in my direction before following Davina. Davina seemed impatient with her slow speed and asked, "Can't I just fly us down? It will be so much quicker."