Ch. 10

A/N: hhhhh its been m o n t h s  since I last uploaded sorry guys, I was in a funky not good mental state to write much but now I'm backkkk

also I low-key wanna make Varian and Lotor crush on each other but like is that gonna be weird?? idk it'll probably a slow burn thing between the two as a sort of side story-

The reunion was short and sweet. (Y/n) was welcomed back with open arms and a tray of warm cookies. Needless to say that everyone was worried for the child during the few weeks that she was gone. 

"My goodness, you're bigger than the last time we saw you..." Allura sighed, fixing your hair with her hands. Everyone including Lotor and Varian sat at the round couch, you in Allura's lap. Varian was sitting rather awkwardly due to the size of his being. Even with Hunk standing as the tallest at 5'10", Varian easily towered over everyone else at an 8'3", ducking under most doorways to step into the room. 

"So uh, are we going to address the...giant man in the room?" Coran asked.

Varian's ears lowered slightly, not liking the size difference between himself and these folks either. "My name is Varian. Little (Y/N) was unfortunate enough to be paired with me after I proved to be...faulty. Nonetheless, I did my best to look after her. She loved to ramble about you all but I'm just curious to know...who is 'Keef?'"

"Keith." The red paladin responded, emphasizing the ending of his name as his face flushed a red that rivaled his suit. 

"My apologies, Keith. Often after our 'training sessions', she told me that she had learned the basics from watching you." Upon hearing his words, Keith felt both a sense of pride and a pang of guilt, the air quotes Varian made reassured him less. Pidge chimed in on the conversation.

"Sorry Varian, but can you elaborate on what you mean by 'training sessions'?"

"Periods where we are forced to fight robots or each other. We as in prisoners who were captured by the Galra and forced to fight as they experiment with the best way to create their twisted version of super soldiers." "...So, in a way we're alike?" Shiro asked, slightly unnerved about the idea of a child being able to fight. Nonetheless the idea of the Galra modifying her tiny figure.

Varian nodded his head in response. 

"I remember seeing you in the gladiator arena. I'm glad to see you're still alive and well." 

Shiro gave an awkward grin in response, not wanting to revisit the disturbing memories. "Same goes here." 

"I'm just concerned about how the Galra managed to find (Y/N)." Allura sighed. Shiro nodded, glad that the subject had changed. 

"I was thinking the same, she could be linked to the witch through her magic." Shiro perked up when Lotor suggested this, reminded that he has something similar as well.

"Well, that means whatever they did to her must've been important to have to track her down." Pidge frowned as they spoke. 

"I just cannot fathom the fact that the Galra are so heartless as to put this poor girl through so much." Coran dramatically cried as he held your hand, you tilted your head as he did so. Why was he so upset and why did you feel so bad for thinking it was kinda funny?

"Trust me, there's more to the story than the witch lets on." The lilac prince massaged his temples, trying to make more sense of this mess. Varian sat next to him, hesitating before lightly rubbing Lotor's back to try and alleviate whatever stress was building on him. "No sense in trying to figure it out through brute monkey force. Our priority now is to make sure that (Y/N)'s safety does not get compromised again."

Pidge nodded in agreement. "Which isn't going to be easy, considering that we'll have moments where everyone is busy and only really Metalhead and Varian can watch her." 

"We'll make a system. Switch out when we need to. We decided to take (Y/N) in as our own and she's our responsibility." Shiro watched as your form reached out to grab a cookie from the table. As much as he hated to think about it, she technically could take care of herself in case anything bad happened again. It's just a matter of whether she decides to fight or not.

~timeskip cause I'm t i r e d~

It was decided that Varian would sleep with you in your room at night, considering you were comfortable enough with each other to do so. He might be a heavy sleeper, but countless times he had woken up to comfort you from night terrors or whenever the door opened with a certain hostility.

Allura, Coran, and Shiro would switch during the early morning-late afternoon, depending on who's doing what. Hunk and Pidge will look over you as a pair, same goes for Keith and Lance. Metalhead would be with you 24/7 and Varian...well he's also glued to you but no one's uncomfortable with it.

With the fear of Lotor's sass rubbing off onto you he wasn't allowed to watch you by himself.

...Why did the paladins let him stick around? No one knows anymore he's kinda just there.

You were lying in bed, Varian's tail wrapped around your waist and cradled in his arms. It was comforting to know that he agreed to stick with you guys until he could get back up on his feet and start looking for his family.

Lotor wasn't too keen on letting the bimbo stay with you, but then again everyone kinda ignored him at that point cause the platonic bond the two of you had made was obvious. If you trusted Varian then the others will too.

It was weird...the time you spent in that godforsaken place was all a blur.

...So was a lot of things before you met the Paladins.

Was this normal? I mean, probably. You're gonna forget a lot of this when you get older anyway.

You traced the body markings that ran along Varian's tail. He was very pretty for a tall, scruffy-looking alien. 

It warmed your heart; how much kindness you've been shown considering your odd circumstances. It made you wonder just how complex the nature of any being can be.

There you go again.

Lately, you've been thinking about things that you normally wouldn't think of at this age. You started to think before you act, which isn't something you ever concerned yourself about outside of the battles. Appreciating all the people in your life after realizing just how much you cared for them and how much they cared for you. Somehow, a lot of these thoughts end up drifting into other matters which could eventually through you into a 5-minute existential crisis.

That's okay though, cause tomorrow Keith promised to draw with you, which should take your mind off of things. 

You looked over Varian, holding back a tired laugh from seeing his legs barely fit on the mattress and hang off of the bed. Yawning, you brought the blanket back over your body and his, getting comfortable once more.

For now, at least, everything was gonna be okay.