Chapter 12 - Nikkah

Jahanara stepped out of the walk-in closet, her hands dusted, the long shirt completely covered with high-end embroidery work with the right correct colour pop out from the distance

The chatter between Nazneen sister of the late Mu'izz Ahamd and Sakeena had stopped staring at the exquisitely beautiful lady in front of them who stood there awkwardly worried that this wasn't that good looking. 

The loose sleeves of the shirt are decorated with delicate embroidery. As for the bottom, the plain crepe trouser allows the dress to be in the spotlight. Nazneen by profession is a makeup artist. 

She had a kind smile and wore a flashy dress but hardly resembled her daughter Yusra who wasn't here and to stay away from the gloomy environment. staying in a hostel was her last decision. No one bothered to stop her. 

"Mashallah mashallah," Nazneen muttered, calming Jahanara's nerves as she ushered to quickly sit in front of the mirror while Sakeen observed her soon to be daughter-in-law with love. 

"Aunty please, minimal makeup not too much," she requested because of the irritation on her skin for a few days. Finally finishing up with the Jewellery and the golden bangles that collided with each other. Nazneen grabbed the maroon chiffon dupatta pressing the safety pin on her right shoulder as it draped her arm and cascaded down her leg sliding on the floor.

"Sakeena Begum the molvi sahib is here please come," Aisha stood there in awe at Jahanara. she realizes how judgmental she was being and it was her mistake she was nothing but a decent person apart from her bluntness. 

Apart from people present here, no one knew about this for Sakeena did not want any more to know and Jahanara instantly agreed to it. The fewer people learned the better.

The staircase which Jahanara climbed up and down was not supporting her today as her heart quickened out of control. Her shoulders stiffened while the veil decorating her face was making her claustrophobic. 

The Nikkah was taking place in the living room. A partition decorated with blossoms and petals were used to separate the groom and bride. The light pressure on her shoulder made her sit on the couch beside were both the ladies. 

The Maulvi Sahab had started to lead the Nikkah as it all passed in a Blur. Jahanara zoned out the whole time as this felt surreal. As if it was a dream and next she will wake up. 

The Nudge from a side broke her thoughts as the Maulvi Sahab asked whether she accepted Shehraz Ahmad as her husband. She suck in a breath and muttered "Qubool hai" three times before holding the pen to sign and then it was Shehraz turn. 

'I can't believe I am married' she thought when everyone stood up congratulating each other as she felt the arms of Sakeena around her patting her head. 

"Mubarak ho beta, (Congratulations daughter)" She lifted her veil feeling all the motherly love from both the ladies and gave them a small smile internally thankful for all this. The curtains were parted and for the first time, her gaze without any hesitation rightfully pierced into his deep mocha orbs.

The intensity was too much for her to bear and with a jerk, her veil dropped back as Nazneen quickly fed her some sweets and later on went beside Jahanara. 

"Let's take you back to your room, it's been a long day," she whispered. Jahanara nodded her head and stood up wanting nothing more than to sleep this off. 

But the moment she sat on her bed her body felt compelled to just lie down for a while until Shehraz did not come as what Sakeena had informed her. Her dupatta was kept at her side while her eyelashes kissed her cheeks letting the sleep enclose her.  

Shehraz nervously clasped his hand after bidding his goodbye to Nazneen and Rizwan who he promised to call him on a normal day and directly stood in front of Jahanara's room raising his hand with a soft knock but few seconds passed and no words were being heard. 

He curled the knob entering the room when his eyes landed on his wife sleeping with a frown on her face. His smile after so long widened. 

'She is so tired but I have to give this to her now or mom will not spare me,' He thought making his way and carefully patted her arm.

"Jahan wake up," He called her softly guilty, crashing into his body for doing this to her. 

Her eyes were wide open as she felt a sharp perfume scent that intruded her personal space. But without knowing what will happen she sat up colliding her forehead with his as Shehraz hand went on his head tumbling a few steps. 

Jahanara cussed under her breath, rubbing her forehead but realized what she had done. 

"Omg I am so sorry are you hurt?" She stood up, closing their distance bending down to check if this collision did any further damage. Shehraz's worried smile made her sighed in relief.

"It's okay don't worry," The pain was still there but it did not matter as he composed himself. Jahanara never felt bad for anyone as much as she did now.

"Um, I wanted to give this it's your Munh Dikhai gift, (" Shehraz bought a rectangular case that was covered with red velvet and golden designs carved on it. Jahanara made an O with her mouth not aware of this as she took it from his hands. 

Her heart melted at this gesture as she discovered it was a gold lovely heart pendant simple yet beautiful. 

"Thank you," she smiled at him and it shocked shehraz to the core seeing her so happy for this. 

"I have something to wait a minute," Jahanara passed him, walking towards her wardrobe with a small box in her hands. His heart throbbed against his chest at this. He did not expect this.

To say she was worried about her idea failing or worse he would reject it made her back off many times but now she was sure nothing would happen and she chuckled at his jaw almost dropping on the floor. 

"It's an aqeeq stone ring. I learned that gold is not permissible bought this instead," She said with her eyes staring at the gorgeous ring. Shehraz felt bad that he bought this because his mother pressured him too but she did it because she wanted to. 

"You did not have to you know," Shehraz stated. "I know circumstances are not very favourable. I always thought that when I get married I would give one. I hope it's not much," She formed her words carefully, making sure not to hit a nerve or something. 

Shehraz noticed it and instead of saying anything he raised his hand signalling with his eyes for her to make him wear it. Her grey eyes shined with pure happiness making her feel things she never did. 

She took his right hand, her palm rested under his hand sliding the ring and it fitted just flawlessly draped around it like it was made for it.

A/N: Not very good with the wedding scenes and rituals but when I edit it thoroughly I will definitely fix this :)