Chapter 21 - Good Girl

A/N - so we're picking up with the plot, and in order to do so, we have a little bit of a time jump

—————

Two months later...

Pakistan is hot. And dry. And you were really feeling the scorching heat. Your uniform, although made from light, airy material, still seems too thick, and does nothing to help conceal how sweaty you feel.

Cargo pants, a t-shirt and quarter zip wouldn't have been your first choice, but somehow you make it work.

It's been six weeks now, give or take a few days, since you'd accepted the consultancy profiling position on the task force. Hotch had encouraged you to go, stating that'd he'd be fine, that the team would cope without you, and welcome you back with open arms in twelve months.

You'd been extremely hesitant to go obviously, with Foyet still on the loose and with the team being no closer to getting him. You simply worried for Hotch's, and his family's, safety.

How were you supposed to be there for him, and them, if you were halfway across the globe? How could you claim to love him if you disappeared in his time of need?

"Have you thought anymore about what you're going to do?" Hotch asks as you play with his hair, his head in your lap as you watch some crappy film.

You hum, flickering your eyes down to meet his as he repositions himself to face you.

"Pakistan?" He continues and your face hardens, turning away from him instantly.

"I've told you. I'm not going. I'm declining the position on Monday, I'll speak to Strauss first thing. End of discussion." You huff as you begin to pull your hand away from his head. Hotch catches it just before you can cross your arms over your chest. He brings your hand to his lips, placing a tender kiss on your wrist.

"Ana, hear me out. Just listen to me please." He begins softly, encasing your hand between his. You exhale sharply but don't speak up.

Hotch's thumb strikes the back of you hand softly, but he doesn't start talking and you know why, but you refuse to meet his eyes.

"Look at me." And you can feel his stare on the side of your face but still, you focus on a nearby vase.

"Ana- Baby, look at me." Softer this time, he asks for your attention and you give in, your heart swelling at the look in his eyes.

"This is such an amazing opportunity for you, and no one is more deserving of this position than you. They didn't ask you because they didn't have anyone else to ask, they asked you because they know what you're capable of. And that when you set your mind to something, you always deliver." The tears begin to pool in your eyes at his words, and you curse yourself for making eye contact with him.