Chapter 15 - Credentials

In the movies, when the main character receives bad news, the type of news that shakes them to their core, time literally stands still

In the movies, when the main character receives bad news, the type of news that shakes them to their core, time literally stands still. Everything and everyone moves around them in slow motion, while they remain frozen, seemingly trying to come to grips with what they have just been told, with what was happening.

Although you imagined the emotions bubbling inside of you were the same, in your situation, a movies slow motion perception of the main characters surroundings couldn't have been further from what you were currently experiencing. It was literally the opposite.

Everything was moving rapidly, and you couldn't keep up. Before you'd even had the chance to process the latest event, something else had come up, and completely, catastrophically overwhelmed you.

— Earlier That Day —

Once you'd left the office, at around two am, you'd gotten straight into bed the moment you were through the door, passing out instantly. Unfortunately, your much needed rest was soon interrupted and after only four hours sleep, you were up again.

You arrive at the address JJ had texted you, at the same time as Prentiss, greeting her a quick good morning, walking with her toward Rossi and Morgan.

"JJ said the police told her it was urgent." She states once you'd reached them.

"Four hours of sleep after what we went through in Canada, it better be." Morgan exclaims, turning and walking into the building that the police were surrounding.

When you walk into the apartment, where JJ already was with Reid, alarm bells started ringing. There was no sign of Hotch, and considering you were all there, it was unusual for him not to be. After the internal revelation you'd made to yourself yesterday, that you are in fact in love with him, you were hyper aware of his absence.

Brushing it off to focus on the detective and the case details, you begin scanning the crime scene.

"Now, unless Dr. Barton puts his son in harm's way, we're going to keep having a victim a day." Reid explains.

"Where's Barton now?" You question.

"He's at home. He doesn't know about this victim yet." JJ informs and then Emily asks the question that was still racing around in your head.

"Where's Hotch?"

"He's not answering his cell. I assume it's on vibrate. He'll get the message when he wakes up." JJ says, quite nonchalantly, which erased some of your concern but not all of it. Rossi advises JJ to call again, stating that Hotch could meet us at Barton's house and with that, you turn and follow everyone out the door.

The house that the SUV pulls up in front of was huge and beautiful, donning a classic and sophisticated style. Once inside, you stand beside Rossi, watching and listening as Emily begins reeling off multiple questions to Dr. Barton. You still couldn't shake the feeling that was something was wrong, the fact that Hotch still hadn't answered his phone, so when Emily had offered to take the lead, you'd been thankful.