PROLOGUE

a cure

a cure

~

1981

"Please, just drink it," the mother pleaded to her daughter that laid quietly in the bed. The mother tried to hand the glass to her daughter.

The H/C-haired woman shook her head, "Mother, what is the point?" she breathed and looked at the glass, "It will only grant me a few more decades of peace and then I'll be doomed to the same fate."

"Y/N, please," Miranda begged her, "I only need more time, more time and I can find a permanent solution."

Y/N sighed before grabbing the glass and drinking all of its contents. She knew better than to ask her mother what was in the glass. Over the years, her mother performed miracles for her and others that couldn't be explained or some that her mother didn't want to explain. 

Miranda placed a hand on her daughter's forehead, "How do you feel, little crow?" 

She offered her mother a small smile, "I'm feeling better," she lifted her arm and flexed her fingers, "I can feel my strength returning." 

Miranda mirrored her daughter's expression, "We'll go down to the lab and run a few tests to make sure you're body is reacting positively."   

Y/N groaned before she sunk further into the bed and covered her face with her arm, "Mother!" 

Miranda chuckled and took the glass from her daughter, "Oh, don't be dramatic," she placed it on the bedside table, "It won't take long."

She sat up, "You always say that."

"I've been working on something while you've been bedridden," her mother stood up from the bed, "I've very excited to show you."

"What do you mean?" Y/N tilted her head. 

"I want you to meet some people," Miranda grabbed her daughter's hand and helped her out of bed, "It's very important." 

Miranda led her daughter out of her room, down the steps, and into the living room.

Y/N's eyes widened when she saw four people in her living room. They all looked completely different from each other and they each had special physical traits. 

"They are noble men and women," Miranda turned and looked at her daughter, "They come from the four main houses and I have employed them to help me watch over the villagers." She explained to Y/N.

Miranda introduced all of the four lords, she began with Alcina Dimitrescu. A tall woman who wore a beautiful white dress and a large brim black hat. Her skin was pale with a tingle of green and her body filled her dress beautifully.  

Next, Miranda introduced Donna Beneviento. Her face was covered by a black veil and she wore a long black dress that covered her entire body. She held a worn doll that wore a tattered wedding dress. Y/N quickly learned that the doll could talk or rather Donna talked through the doll. 

Miranda then showed Salvatore Moreau. He was a skinny man with tattoos and Y/N could see large growths on his back. His speech seemed nearly childlike but she didn't want to insult him about it. 

The last one she met was a tall man wearing sunglasses, Karl Heisenberg. His shoulder-length brown hair peeked out underneath his weathered cowboy hat. He introduced himself with a smirk and even placed a kiss on the back of her hand. An act that didn't go unnoticed or appreciated by Miranda who quickly ushered her daughter away.    

"I want to thank you all for coming," Miranda announced to the group, "I want to improve the lives of all the villagers and I believe that you all will help me in doing so."

Everyone listened diligently while Miranda spoke, she had a way of commanding attention. 

Karl raised his hand, "Mother Miranda, I just want to inquire what we'll be doing specifically to help the villagers," he asked her with a grin. 

"We'll discuss that further, another day," she turned and looked at her daughter with a small smile, "I only want to focus on my daughter today and celebrate her recovery."

Miranda looked over at Alcina, "Dimitrescu, do you have the wine?" 

The woman walked over to a table and picked up a decorated wine bottle, "Yes, I do. The praised Sanguis Virginis(Maiden Blood)." 

Crimson wine glasses were brought out and the bright red liquid was poured. 

Y/N mingled and talked to the lords. It didn't take her long to see that each lord was completely different from one another regardless of how she tried to compare them. 

Donna was painfully shy and soft-spoken. She allowed Angie, her doll, to speak for her and interact for her. Y/N didn't mind and thought it was a cute and innocent quirk of hers. 

Karl was just as interesting, she quickly learned that he was able to control metal. He performed coin tricks for her and ranted on about his love of creating and owning a factory. 

Everyone was brought out of their chatter when the sound of a clinking wine glass filled the air.

Miranda looked around at all of the lords, "As I said earlier, I am glad you all could make it and I hope this partnership brings good things for the future," she raised her wine glass, "to life and rebirth!"

Everyone raised their glasses in return before sipping their drinks.    

Soon it was time for the festivities to be over and everyone to return to their respective estates. 

"I will see you all soon my children," Miranda said as the lords made their departure. The 'my children' statement rang loud and clear for Y/N.

She stared at her mother with furrowed brows, "Children?" she stepped closer to her mother, "What do you mean, mother?" 

Miranda started gathering the wine glasses, "I decided to adopt some unfortunate children." she moved to grab another when a hand stopped her.

Y/N held her mother's wrist, "When were you going to tell me?" 

"I didn't want to tell you," she pulled her arm out of her daughter's grip, "I didn't know if you were ready." 

"Wasn't ready?" she stepped in her mother's path, "Explain, please."

Miranda huffed and stepped around Y/N, "I didn't know how you would react, and I didn't know how to react," she placed the tray down and turned to look her daughter in the eye, "I went from losing a child to nearly losing a second and suddenly I had four more. This is a very complicated situation." 

Y/N cast her eyes down, "I'm sorry, mother."

Miranda gave her a small smile and captured her in a hug, "It's okay," she kissed her daughter's forehead,  "Things can only improve from here, my little crow."