The Party

She pulls him closer and clings tightly.

'Fuck, you smell good.'

'It's Bull-Gar-Ree.'

'Well, you smell fuckin' great.' Ceebee slides out of Max's grip and lands lightly. She wraps her arms around his torso and screams, 'You did it, Maxee!'

'We did it Ceebs—great party—who are those people over there?'

Ceebee shrugs. 'Probably some of the new shareholders.' She rubs the soft leather of his jacket. 'There's about thirty of 'em here—Is this new?' He flexes.

'Yeah, I got it yesterday—Ver-Sar-Chee.'

'Nice.'

Max pokes around a medusa-stamped pocket. 'Hey, do me a favour Ceebs—take this card and get me some cash from the ATM, will ya?'

'How much?'

'Huh... as much as it'll give you—I think it's a thousand dollar limit or something.'

'Shall I use the card for the bar tab?'

'Good idea—Go before midnight. I think I can get another thousand after that—not sure exactly.'

She tucks the platinum card into her jacket. 'Anything else?'

Max cups her shoulders and looks into her eyes. 'You got any smokes?'

Ceebee sighs. 'Yeah.' Producing a golden pack of cigarettes, she puts one in her mouth and another between Max's lips and lights them both.

He takes a long drag and scowls at the blue label on the golden box. 'Get whatever you need from the cash and grab me a packet of Reds. He stares briefly at the orange glow at the end of the cigarette and takes another drag. He hugs Ceebee and then disappears into the club.

'Hey, boss!' A voice catches Max's attention.

A young man wearing a white shirt and blue braces rolls up his sleeves and heads straight for Max. Beads of sweat stream down his forehead and disappear into perfectly groomed eyebrows. A DeNiro-like mole triggers a vague memory that this guy has something to do with work.

'What a party,' the young man says, 'that dance floor is out of control.'

'Do you know any of those people?' Max points to the group of new shareholders sitting near the bar.

'No idea,' he says, 'I think the fake blonde came with the chick sitting next to her—the one in red.'

'I need you to do something for me, mate.'

'Whatever you need, boss.'

Max loves how people light up when they think they're doing him a favour. 'Grab me a JD and coke from the bar, will ya—and bring it over.' Max points to the group of new shareholders. 'Put it on Digital Enterprise's account, if not, it'll be under Max Zanetti. Use this tab card.'

'Sure thing boss–anything else?'

'Sure, order a dozen cock sucking cowboys and bring 'em with you.' Max loves getting people to say cock sucking cowboys. 'I've gotta keep mingling, mate, find me when you get the drinks.'

The music breaks as Max reaches the group of new shareholders. 'Greetings!' He slides into a seat opposite the thirty-something brunette and her blonde companion. 'I hope everyone's being taken care of?'

'We are.' The woman in the red shirt giggles. 'My name's Emmy, and this is my friend Victoria.'

Max smiles at Victoria. 'I'm pleased to meet you.'