Ch22- maybe families aren't very fun?

"What!" Wilbur shouted in happinesses going too grab the letter but was stopped when Techno moved it away from his reach.
"I said they've got her they've healed Avis and managed to escape I've even got their cords. Apparently they're staying in a permanent camp a few hours away with a few other hybrids and that we are welcome to visit Avis but she will be staying with them."
"What?" It was Phils turn to say the line as he successfully grabbed the paper from his eldest and reread the letter "she's not staying there forever, she's coming home with me and you guys."
"What do you mean 'you guys'?" Wilbur asked
"Mate, your not staying here and definitely not Tommy. It's too dangerous you can even bring that kid you adopted but your not staying here." Phil laughed
"I'm not going anywhere L'manberg's my home now Phil" Wilbur explained gently
"I'm not going home either, well maybe for a bit while you and Avis recover but not forever" Techno told the hybrid stubbornly
"You've got to be kidding! Can you not see what this places is doing to you Wilbur? It's destroying you! It's destroying Tommy and it's destroying this whole family! Do you really think Avis wanted to stay with me? No she didn't but she was selfless enough to stay so I wouldn't be alone and so you could live your lives but what happened? You dragged her into your conflicts and now she's tortured and living with people she's never met before! This is on you two!" Phil shouted eyes switching between his oldest children waiting for one of them to speak but they just hung their heads in shame, staring at the suddenly very interesting floor until Techno spoke up

"I'll ride out tomorrow." He lifted his head making eye contact with Phil "to get Avis it's only a few days journey we'll be home in a fortnight and meet you there."
"Great, I'll tell Tommy and.... Fundy?" The name came out as a question and the winged hybrid continued after Wilbur gave a Solomon nod of his head "to start packing up."
"I'm not going, Tommy and Fundy can leave if they wish but I need to see this through or at least die trying." Wilbur explained as he took his seat again going back to marking more papers.

"I have been on many travels through my many years and have come across many strange and wonderful people, including two best friends. They where only about ten years old when I found them half starving in the streets and so decided to take them in and give them a home as well as finally settling down in a cottage a few hundred yards from here. They where called Foolish and Dream and for just over ten years I took care of them both but soon they followed my path longing for adventure and so Dream went North and Foolish South still remaining in contact with me and each other. That was until I received my last letter from Dream just over three years ago now telling me how he had settled down and was now ruler of a smaller area and that he was going to a important duel soon as well as meeting a distant blood relative. That was the last i heard from him until a few weeks ago when i received a letter from his new friend George informing me of the rampage he was going on and how he was becoming a tyrant. At the he very end of this letter he spoke of a rare hybrid that Dream had spent months hunting down and finding, a rare winged hybrid? That's you isn't it Avis? George told me just some of the things he did to you, a..about your wings. And I'm so- god I'm so sorry that you had to go through that at all but to know that it was at the hands of my own son? I'm so sorry my family will do anything for you to at least try and repay this tragedy that happened to you." Captain Puffy started telling me delicately but it ended up sounding more like her pleading for the my forgiveness.

I sat on Bad's couch in between Bad and Skeppy whilst Puffy sat opposite, I couldn't even think of how to answer. If Techno was here then he'd be telling me to kill her but do I want to do that really? I mean it's tempting but could I do it? Looking down my eye was caught by the dried blood behind my fingernails, since I had been wearing long tops ever since I arrived here only three people had even an idea of what my bruises and scars looked like. I sighed before beginning to gently roll my sleeve up.
"You don't have to do that." Bad said quickly placing one of his ashy hands over my sleeve but I just shook my head and continued rolling.
It took a few minutes before the first sleeve was finally just below my shoulder and you could now see the smiley faces carved into my skin and after another couple of minutes you could read the words carved into my other arm. Bad's hand grabbed onto mine holding it tightly as I looked up with tears rolling down my face into the eyes of my torturers mother to say the Puffy looked horrified would be an understatement, her face had gone pale and her pupils small and if I looked close enough I could see that the hands covering her face where shaking as well.
"My Dream di-did that?" She stuttered as I gave Bad's hand another squeeze and nodded "I'm so sorry I know I said that before but I truly do mean it. I understand if you want to kill me or even slightly torture me the way he did to you Avis." Puffy replied softly tears now flowing down her face but everything and everyone froze when we heard the front door slam open.

"AVIS? AVIS ARE YOU HERE?" Someone shouted as Puffy looked confused and Bad and Skeppy exchanged glances but I knew that voice I'd recognise it anywhere

"Techno!"