Chapter 51

Tyler is okay.

I told myself that over and over again as the medics rolled Tyler away from me. When he was right in front of me, laughing and making jokes, it was easy to believe that he would be fine. But now that they were taking him away from me, my anxiety spiked.

I clamped my hand on my chest as my heart threatened to beat right out of my chest. I felt small in the middle of these large men, and even more so without Tyler's protective aura.

"Pups," Dane commanded, making the younger boys straighten and pay attention. "Tyler won't want the show to end like this. We need to go to the hospital though. Lee? You get on the mic and let everyone know Tyler will be fine. Let them know we're adding a few tricks in his honour. Tychon and Ray, you two do a few tandem jumps. Nothing crazy but enough to end tonight on a good note."

They all nodded and ran to the bikes. The crowd roared when they realized the show wasn't over yet. I stood there lost as Fitz, Rohan, and Dane all made quick plans to avoid the press and get to the hospital.

Finally, Rohan seemed to realize that I was floating in a purgatory between panic and a full-blown meltdown. He placed a firm hand on my shoulder and gave it a soft shake till I focused on him.

"Everything will be fine," he said assuredly. "Bones break, then they heal. It's a part of the job." I nodded as I sucked a breath through my nose, trying to believe that he was right.

"Go deal with Finn," he said in a gentle yet commanding tone. It was so similar to Tyler that tears welled in my eyes. "Then come to the hospital and see for yourself that he's fine."

It was exactly what I needed. A game plan. I straightened my shoulders and sent him a thankful nod. Turning back to the VIP section I saw my loved ones all staring at me with concern. They hadn't fallen back into the excitement of the show like the crowd had.

Catching Twyla's eye I rushed forward and hopped back over the barrier. It was harder to get over without adrenaline pumping through my veins. When I'd seen Tyler crash it was like I'd blacked out and suddenly I was fighting off two security guards who thought I was a crazy fan.

"What's happening?" Beau asked when I stopped in front of them. Finn ran forward and wrapped his arms around my stomach. He may not have seen the crash but he saw the aftermath.

I leaned down and wrapped my arms around Finn, lifting him up to wrap his legs around my waist. I ignored the pain in my back from his growing weight and squeezed him tightly.

"Tyler is fine," I said confidently even though I didn't feel it. "He will be okay."

"What happened?" Finn asked with wide eyes and a wobbly lip.

"He had a little fall. You know that every time you ride there's a chance you could wipe out." Finn nodded knowingly as I spoke. Tyler had never shied away from ensuring that Finn understood the risks of biking. I was especially grateful for that now. "So he has to go get checked by a doctor but he'll be okay."

"What do you need?" Grace said with Jedd beside her. Tris stood behind them holding Emma. She stared at me with a similar air of determination. I couldn't help but smile at how lucky I was to have built such a mismatched family of people who cared so deeply.

"I need to go to the hospital," I said immediately. "But Finn needs to go back to the hotel."

"I'll take him back with us," Tris nodded.

"And we can go back and help so you don't have to worry how long you stay," Jedd added.

Beau wrapped a comforting arm around my shoulders and said, "We'll take you to the hospital, Sweetpea."