Sasuke's Letter

Naruto's POV (cont.):

Alone with my thoughts, I hold Sasuke's cloak in my hands. I notice a bulk in one spot of the cloak and turn it over, revealing a hidden pocket on the inside.

Thinking for a moment, I turn it over upside down and shake it as the things in the pocket fall out of the cloak.

"Oh no, I guess I have no choice but to pick them all up now," I say, smirking at my cleverness.

I can almost sense Kurama rolling his eyes.

I pick up a bunch of papers. Letters?

Unfolding them, I notice a familiar handwriting. They're...my letters. He kept all of them?

I pick up a smaller piece of paper and notice it's the picture of Team 7 I sent him. He kept this too? Why would he keep them if he didn't care?

I scoff, gathering all of them. He kept them all but still never wrote back. At least that's what I thought, until I see an envelope on the ground.

I notice it's the same envelope that I've seen Sasuke acting weird about.

Picking it up, I turn it over and gasp. My name was written clearly on the back.

Was he planning to give this to me?

With a lot of hesitation, I slowly begin to open the envelope. Inside of it, was a small piece of paper.

I widen my eyes. It's a letter. For me.

I unfold the paper, squinting to read Sasuke's tiny handwriting.

. . .

Naruto,

I don't even know what to write. I'm sorry. You want confirmation of how I feel, I get it. But the thing is, I don't even know what to say.

I tried my hardest to push you away. Not because I hated you, but because I cared about you too much. I didn't want you to get caught up in my hatred. And yet, like the loser you are, you wouldn't leave me the hell alone. What's that all about anyway? Why did you go through so much to save me? You saved me from being consumed by hatred, but my hatred is still there. Why do you want to be associated with someone like that?

I doubt I'll ever end up giving you this letter. But Naruto, I do love you. I just can't say the words out loud. Not because I doubt my love for you, but because I don't deserve to be loved by someone like you. I'd be selfish to let you love me, after all I've done.

Forgive me, Naruto. I'm really sorry for everything. I know you begged me to write you back, but I need more time. I just need more time.

- Sasuke

. . .

I don't even notice I've been crying until I see a teardrop fall on the paper.

I slowly fold it back up and shove it in my back pocket. As I do, I feel the necklace in the same pocket. I take out the necklace and notice the moon charm is broken and the string is missing. It must have broken when I fell. I sigh and shove it back in my pocket.

He's still beating himself up over his past. He pushed me away, not because he hated me, but because he hated himself. He thinks he doesn't deserve to be loved. What can I do to convince him that he deserves to be loved?

I don't care anymore if Sasuke doesn't love the world. Hell, I don't even care if Sasuke loves me or not. I want Sasuke to love Sasuke.

That's when I realize the world is a dark and cruel place. Sasuke's entire life is only a product of that world. He should love, not to replace the hatred, but despite it. The hatred is still there, but his loves balances the negativity.

I'm an idiot.

"Don't tell me..." Kurama says judgmentally.

"I'm sorry, Kurama. I know you don't like him, but I have to," I respond in my conscience.

He groans. "Here we go again..."

I stand up and smile. Confidently walking out of the cave, I see the group all standing outside. They all look up as they notice me.

"Well? Have you made a decision?" Sai asks.

I nod and point at the sky, determined.

"I'm going after Sasuke."

Sakura and Hinata smile in approval.

Shikamaru crosses his arms and sighs.

"What a drag. Some things never change," he says, shaking his head.

I'm about to argue and plead my case when I see them all stand up and get ready. I look at them all in surprise.

Shikamaru smiles.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Let's go save your hopeless crush."