Chapter One

I adopted this plot bunny a year or so ago. It really intrigued me. I posted a poll in my group asking which story I should work on next and this was the winner. It's definitely a WIP. I've only got a rough outline figured out and I'm going back to my roots with this ... writing with a vague plan. I hope that I can do this justice.

None of this is mine ... I wish it was. Sigh ...

Be prepared to meet our favorite leading man in the next chapter ... maybe?

Also, Bella, during present day, is twenty-nine turning thirty. She had Seth while she was eighteen. Seth is currently eleven years old, about to turn twelve. She left Forks when she was twenty-two, almost twenty-three.

Anyhow, on with it!

Chapter One

Bella

"Ugh, this thing won't load," I grumbled, scowling at my computer. "What's that faint whining sound?"

"That's because it's older than dirt, Bella. That whining sound is its last gasping breaths," Jasper, Rose's twin brother, and one of my closest friends, teased me. "You know, you can get a new computer. That money you'd earned from your books are collecting dust in the bank."

"It's for Seth's college fund," I argued.

"Isabella Marie, you need a new computer. You needed a new computer when you walked in with that hunk of junk. It's a glorified brick! No! I take that back. A brick has more functions than that dinosaur," Jasper sighed. "Will you let me show the ways of modern technology? You're going to need it."

I pursed my lips, wringing my hands anxiously. I hated to waste money. I'd always be afraid of being starving, homeless and bankrupt. You never know when the rug will be pulled out from underneath you. Jasper gently stopped my hands. "Stop, Bells. You're not going to be thrown out of the apartment. Emmett and Rosalie would never do that to you. You're not going to lose Seth if you buy yourself a new computer."

"Sorry," I whispered, hating that my insecurities were so easily identified.

"Come on, sweet girl," Jasper smirked. "You need a new computer since I don't want my best girl to stall out. You're on fire with the novels you've written. A new one will be published at the end of the month and you'll be back on the best seller list!"

"Okay," I sighed, closing my computer. "I don't want to spend too much."

"Bella, you will spend too much because you're getting a MacBook. It'll last you for forever," Jasper said. "Maybe. we can also update your cell phone, too."

"Jasper," I moaned, allowing him to drag me from the publishing house where I worked. When I wasn't writing for them, I worked as a copy editor to earn some extra money.

It all came down to money.

We got into his Toyota Rav-4 and drove to the Apple Store in Union Square. When we walked in, a chirpy sales associate asked us what we needed. Jasper prattled off some computer mumbo-jumbo and the sales associate scurried away. Another sales associate, a guy with hipster glasses and an iPad, approached us with a grin. Within an hour, I had a new laptop and cell phone. Honestly, I spent way too much money. I damn near had a panic attack when I signed the credit slip, but Jasper promised me tequila.

"I don't want tequila," I grumbled to him. "Chocolate, Hale. I want chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate."

"I think I know where I'm taking you after this, Bells. We have a date with Ghirardelli," Jasper smiled, hugging me. "We'll get you some chocolate, Bells."