Just Friends

Mulai dari awal

Still turned away, I try to ignore him, but I hear him step even closer.

"Please," he half-whispers in a slightly strained voice. His proximity allowed his breath to tickle the back of my neck, which made me feel a little...too good.

Shit. Just friends just friends just friends.

I jump and finally turn around, facing him. Seeing his worried face, I can't help but smile.

"That's good to hear, ya know! Let's just...put the past behind us," I say. I laugh and throw my arm around his neck as we walk together. Surprisingly, he doesn't flinch or get annoyed like he usually does.

Sasuke smirks. "You still don't know what you're looking for, do you?"

I give him an irritated look. "I do!"

"Then what is it?" He says, raising an eyebrow.

I scratch my head, unsure of what to say.

"Hn," he remarks, satisfied that he was right.

"Whatever! I'll check...just to refresh my memory, that's all!" I say.

Sasuke pulls out the picture and angles it towards me. With my arm still around him, I lean closer towards the photo to inspect it.

 With my arm still around him, I lean closer towards the photo to inspect it

(art creds: @cubur_chi on Instagram)

Neither of us seem to notice what we were doing until Sai walks by, looking at us up and down.

"Um...didn't mean to interrupt, just needed to take a piss. I'll go somewhere else," Sai says, politely smiling. He quickly leaves before we can respond.

Me and Sasuke look at each other, realizing how close we were. We both quickly separate and avoid eye contact.

"N-no need to be so close, loser!" Sasuke says, regaining his composure.

"M-me?! Why wouldn't you just hand me the picture, dumbass?!" I say, also regaining my composure.

After an awkward silence for a few moments, we both start laughing.

"Imagine Sai didn't see us and just took a piss right in front of us," I say, laughing even harder.

Sasuke smirks. "Why wouldn't he just go to the woods to do that?" He says, rolling his eyes.

I smile and return to looking for clues, now knowing that it might be a fragment of one of Toneri's weapons.

Me and Sasuke. Friends. I can get the hang of this.

~

As Sasuke and I continue to wander around the abandoned village, we spot a broken water fountain.

I head over there and cup my hands to take a sip. I offer to do the same for Sasuke, but he refuses.

"Come on, it's not like you can do it with one hand, Mr. Independent," I say, rolling my eyes.

"I think I'll put my pride over my thirst," he retorts.

I splash some water on him. As expected, he gets irritated.

"Hey! What's the big idea, loser?" He shouts.

I laugh and splash some more water on him. But unexpectedly, he splashes water on me back.

"Hey!" I shout in surprise.

"Hn," Sasuke smirks. "Now you know how it feels."

"Who knew the emo guy knows how to have fun," I say teasingly before splashing more water on him.

Sasuke tries to appear angry, but I can tell that for once, he is actually enjoying himself.

"Just friends, huh?" Kurama says.

I ignore him and glance at Sasuke, who is trying to dry his cape.

Yeah, just friends. I continue to remind myself that I only see him as just friends.

But everytime I look at him, I can't help but fall in love all over again.