The New World: Part 1 -Equi

A furry fox cap poking out from a wooden security tower. Milo's eyes surveyed the community that in a little more than a year had grown into a world he never could have imagined. They called it Crystal Gate Republic because the town served as a gateway to the mountain, which glimmered like a crystal in the cold of winters.

The winter was cold, colder than Milo had ever experienced, but the spring seemed to gently ease into a calm period and the last of the snow melted away in its summer sun.

The 'Blue Eyes' had dwindled and infected became even more of a rarity. Looking past the community farms and down the hill he saw scaffolding and walls – they were building a more secure town to expand their operations but what excited Milo was the orange decorations appearing and people wearing orange bandanas in preparation. It was their first official holiday – Equi – a transition into Spring.

"Hey handsome," Silas climbed into the tower his auburn hair tied into a bun with some wavy strands dropping and framing his face. The boy, only a year older than Milo, had become Milo's confidant over their time knowing each other. "Almost done with your shift."

"Flattery will get you everywhere." Milo smirked and eyed his friend then noticed the orange bandana around his neck. "Happy Equi!"

"Same to you," Silas furrowed his brow. "Why aren't you dressed? Did you not get a bandana?"

"Ah, I left it in my room." Milo chuckled feeling underprepared and called out.

"Little miss Milo, leaving her things everywhere." Silas had a second orange bandana tied around his exposed bicep; he pulled it off and walked up to his friend tying it around Milo's neck. Milo felt Silas's breath as the boy tied the bandana around him. Their eyes met for a brief moment and Milo was uncertain what he saw, his friend for sure but the act was more intimate than expected. The two stared at each other and Silas stepped back walking to the railing and looking out over the town.

"It feels different doesn't it?" Silas whispered.

Milo wasn't sure if he was talking about their relationship or something else. He looked at Silas's back, the boy was dressed in a comfortable lose fitting white tank top and some tight fitting black jean shorts. His auburn hair blowing in the wind, ever since Milo met Silas the boy seemed to keep growing and was taller now.

"Yeah, well spring is coming." Milo responded feeling that was the only right answer, he couldn't see Silas's face but the slump in his shoulders spoke more that it wasn't the right answer.

"Do you think I'll ever find it?" Silas turned around more serious than usual looking at his friend. "I was just thinking that, ya know spring is when babies are made and rabbits go at it? I think I just want something like what you and Graham have."

"You'll find it! There is a girl out there for you buddy." Milo encouraged.

"There are just less of us to find it with you know? Makes me think about what I really value in people" Silas sighed. "Maybe the dance tonight will give me the courage to go up to someone."

"Yeah, I'm sure we will all have a lot of fun tonight." Milo went up and leaned by Silas on the railing. "I'm going to find someone for you to dance with, okay bud!" He smiled and squeezed Silas's arm playfully. "But I have to go get ready."

"Sure thing, see you soon." Silas gave a weak smile and turned back to perform his turn at the watchtower.

Milo walked through the town seeing people with crowns of orange, red, and white poppies. The wild poppies, mostly orange in color, were picked and spread throughout the town. Everyone was cheerful and some kids ran by wearing orange Fox ears. Milo yelped at them and they yelped back playfully and continued in their game. People had switched to wearing white for the celebration and the smell of cooking vegetables and bread along with some rabbit filled the air. Everything was so peaceful and cheery.