07 | AN OLD FRIEND SAYS GOODBYE

"Here's your cheeseburger, Miss."

A smile forms on Cassie's lips as she reaches for her beloved cheeseburger from the waitress' hands. She stared at it for a moment before looking back at the lady. "Thank you," she said before she started eating her food. The waitress casually walks away from her table.

While she was busy chewing her food, she stared at her bandaged fist. When Charles found out that she punched the mirror in her room, he was pretty worried and pissed off at the same time. And it even doubled when he saw her bleeding and wounded fist. He was the one who tended it and of course, he's careful to not make the wound even worse but she could feel his annoyance when he was wrapping a cloth around it. She shrugged and continued eating, not minding the stares she's getting from other customers. Who's probably wondering why she's even here when she only ordered a cheeseburger.

Cascade had no plans on being in the place where Charles and his merry band is. She's not in the proper mood to listen to the president talk about the glory of America or whatsoever. She couldn't bear looking at them and not feeling sick knowing that her mutant friend, Alex—who was sent to the war—might be dead. And also because she's not American.

As far as she could remember — that would be so far since she's just starting to remember — both of her parents are Filipino. And part of her decision of not going in that place was because of the Watsonville Riots in 1930.

After she finished eating her food, she promptly left the place. Not wanting to deal with the people's stares much longer. It makes her feel uncomfortable and anxious that someone might not treat her nicely knowing that her skin is a little much darker than theirs and that she looks different than them.

When Cascade was about to cross the street, she halted when her surroundings suddenly dimmed. She frowns. She watched the news update about the weather and it doesn't say anything about this place being cloudy. A little bothered by the strange disturbance, she looks up and her eyes widens. "Holy shit," she curses under her breath.

The 'strange disturbance' comes from a fucking stadium being pulled out of God knows where, levitating up in the skies, surrounded by Sentinel robots and in the middle, there's a man with his arms wide open. She rolls her eyes. "Of course, it's going to be Erik. What did I even expect?"

The stadium drops, surrounding the place where the president was making his speech. Her breathing hitched as her heart beat faster. Worry floods her veins. What if the stadium drops under Charles and his company? She thought to herself, but she immediately shook her head. Erik would never hurt that little shit.

Cascade was about to sprint towards the place but a Sentinel started firing at her. She immediately hid behind a car, her chest rising and falling. She felt a pang of pain in her left cheek and when she reached to touch it, she winced. A bullet grazed on her cheeks. She grits her teeth.

She looks up to see the Sentinel looking for her then her eyes darts to the pedestrians looking at her with their eyes widened in horror. "Why are you staring at me? Run!" When they finally managed to pick up what she meant, they started running and the Sentinels started firing in her direction.