06 | PARIS, CITY OF LOVE

"I believe you."

"Peter?"

Peter snaps out of his thoughts and when he looks up, he's welcomed by the worried face of his beloved mother, Mrs. Maximoff. Blinking twice, he looks around the place. He's in the living room. He had forgotten that he was even in this place. His thoughts had taken him somewhere else. Somewhere so far away. Taking a deep breath, a grin makes his way to his face, veiling his twisting heart. "Yep?"

His mother's expression turns sympathetic as she sits next to him, her face solemn and nurturing and as beautiful as they were before during her prime. "Are you thinking about that girl with those strange people?" she asked. Her voice was as gentle as though she's cradling a newborn child.

"I—" His words melted on his tongue upon realizing that there's no point in denying the truth. Cassie, the girl with charcoal eyes, had occupied his mind the moment he had seen her. It was as though he went back in time and now he's staring at the loved one he had lost. She looks the same as the day she left and in her return, she feels different.

The air of unfamiliarity the moment she had seen him was so visible that she might as well just stab him right at his heart and it will still feel the same. When she left, he waited for her at their doorstep like a kid. He never stopped wishing for her to come back so that they could play again, like what they used to do. And when his prayers were heard, she looked at him like an uncaring father.

Speaking of father, Peter is pretty sure that he just met his father. Magneto, the man who could control metals. His mother used to tell him so much of him, and she spoke of him as though he is a hero from an epic. When he first saw him, he never really realized that was his father but when he did, his heart twists. It wasn't the fact that he hadn't gotten the opportunity to tell him, but what hurts the most was that he doesn't even have an idea that he exists.

And then Cassie and him probably know each other. Ah. He thought. That explains why she could easily leave him behind. But who is he fooling? She told him that she would leave and it was him who didn't believe her. So technically speaking, it was partially his fault that he didn't manage to bid his farewell and why his unspoken goodbye still haunts him.

A light tap on his shoulder cut his train of thoughts. He turned his head to his mother's direction and she immediately wrapped her arms around him. He rested his head on her shoulder. She started stroking his back. "Don't let it bother you so much, Peter. Let the world handle it for you and one day, everything will fall into their rightful place."

But how could he? When one wrong move and the two people he wants in his life could drift further away from him.

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

Paris, France. The city of love, as they call it. The home of the Eiffel Tower. One of the many places Cassie has always wanted to go. And perhaps, under different circumstances, she would've been very much delighted in knowing that she's in the very same place she always wanted to be in. But again, under different circumstances. They're not here to celebrate with the crowd, they're here to stop someone from murdering someone and causing a chain of events that will lead to their end.