"Aren't we breaking some sort of unspoken peace treaty between the families? I mean, why else would we have not killed them off a long time ago if we hate them so much?" While I had no problem killing each and every member of the Luxton family, down to the smallest infant, I also did not want to be used as the trigger that initiates war.

"If it was something to worry about, mom and dad would have mentioned it." Bear said shortly.

Why did it not feel that simple? If our family hates them as much as everyone believes, it would have been so very easy for us to pick them off one by one until only their expensive little fingers remained. So why haven't we? What has stopped every generation of the two families from resolving this conflict, either with peace or with death?

There had to be something more.

"Pay attention." Bear brought me back to reality, "Give me a count."

"Two guards on the front door, it looks like they are carrying." I relayed what I saw from my hidden position, "Two more along either side of the house, a possible third at the back. They make rounds every few minutes."

"They sure adopted a powerful pack of watchdogs." Bear commented, "I wonder if they were expecting us."

I only counted the seven of them but there were probably more inside. Another mistake rich people make is thinking that having the biggest brutes is best. But in the right environment and proper conditions, it would be easy for a snake to slither past a lion, no matter how big the lion or how small the snake. Those guards carry power in their punches but that is only effective if they can catch me first.

"The property is registered for automatic lights." Bear informed. A series of clicks sounded from where his fingers tapped over a keyboard, then came his goofy prideful laugh, "Oops, I guess they forgot to pay their bill this month. Let's just turn those off, shall we? Huh, and motion activated alarms? Damn that faulty wiring, you can't trust anything these days. Oh rats, it looks like that isn't working either."

He was having too much fun.

"Next time, you're doing the field work and I'm running surveillance." I hissed.

It was an empty threat. We both know I prefer to be on missions rather than watching them from our monitor station. While it is safer to be behind a computer screen, the adrenaline rush of fieldwork is addicting. I crave the burn of overworked muscles and the suspense of potentially getting caught. I enjoy feeling dirt under my nails, stalking enemies from the shadows, and choking life between my fingers. Some might call it a guilty pleasure.

I call it a career.

"Watch it, we have movement." Bear warned and announced what I could not see, "One of the guards beside the house is out of line, too far from his mark."

The brute strolled around the side of the house, scanning the dark yard with unseeing eyes. From the relaxation of his shoulders and the loose fists at his side, it was painfully obvious that he did not take his job seriously. He would lay down his life for the clients he protects, but until that time arrives he is a lazy protector without the discipline to prevent his own inevitable self sacrifice.

He stayed only a moment longer before turning and following his steps back to the front door. I smiled to myself, "This is going to be easy."

"Alright, let's get this party started." Bear abandoned his usual sarcasm and slipped into a much more serious tone now that the mission was well underway, "Alpha and Beta are still on the porch. Charlie and Delta are on the west side of the house, status irrelevant. There is a gap between Echo and Foxtrot on the east side, move forward on my mark ... three, two, one, go."