Pt 2

Six put on his helmet as memories came flooding back to him, before he joined Noble team, and before he had been doing black ops for ONI, back when he had been number 6 of the original 17 headhunters, and when he had been paired with number 4.

Unidentified Covenant space station located in geosynchronous orbit around desert world PD-4 (uninhabitable extreme temperatures, low atmospheric breathability, but potentially resource rich — UNSC planetary survey 2505)

2548

PD-4 Surface

Covenant Mining Camp

Six lay belly down buried in a sand dune, his headhunter partner Four right beside him, they had been using the almost constant sandstorms this planet had to inch their way through a massive Covenant mining camp at the base of a space elevator for almost 2 days now. Their mission required an almost complete lack of suspicion on the Covenant's part, so they couldn't afford to leave any unexplained corpses.

Basically, they had to get from their insertion point (10 miles away from the edge of the camp), into the space elevator, up into the station, plant a bio weapon in the filtration system (both the grunt methane repository and the standard o2 systems) and get out. All undetected, and all at just the right time to catch the worker's deployment change.

So far things had gone fairly well, aside from the fact a jackal had managed to piss on their hiding spot in a dune not once but twice. Four had practically begged him to break stealth for just one second to snap the bird's neck. He had just asked her if she could make it look like an accident. A sullen silence had followed and she hadn't said anything on the issue since.

Their enhanced SPI armor could keep them somewhat hidden, but they needed another sandstorm to cover the last bit of distance to the glowing purple repulsorlift that would bring them to the station.

The last few grunts meandering around on the platform started running to the control hut as they dropped their last loads and the wind started to pick up again. Six and Four saw their chance and took it, blazing across the sand as they appeared out of the dune, their SPI armor already attuned to the brown and tan of the sand. They ducked in between two large crates of ore just as the purple light intensified and they started lifting off the ground, their armor shifting colors to camouflage to the purple alloy of the covenant crates.

They settled in for another round of waiting as they knew the journey up might take a while.

20 minutes later the two headhunters felt the pallet they were hiding on lurch slightly as its miniature anti-grav unit whirred to life and a grunt started pushing it out of the loading bay and towards storage, singing as he did so.

Six and Four got up immediately after the grunt left the storage bay, his cargo delivered, with Four saying exasperatedly, "that sucked, he was so pitchy."

Six responded calmly as the two Spartan 3s ran final weapon and equipment checks on each other, "it wasn't that bad, and at least he tries, that's more than you can say."

Four stopped the check of Six's armor seals, shocked, "You've heard me sing?" She whispered hotly.

Six felt her resume her work, and he responded, purposely dodging the question, "I kid, you're a great singer, but don't do any more country, your British accent doesn't work with it,"

Four was clearly still confused, but she finished her check of his seals and turned around to have the same treatment be returned to her. Unbeknownst to her, Six had received a squad leader (or something similar) comm system with his first helmet (probably some mistake, he had never been a squad leader, he was always too quiet) and he had never complained, and they had never changed it. It let him always monitor anyone on his mission, even let him override private comms and listen in at almost any time.