Chapter 7: Slugs

Courtyard

The Gryffindor Quidditch team Harry, George, Fred, Alicia Spinnet, Me, and Angelina Johnson trail behind Oliver Wood through the courtyard, toward the distant Quidditch pitch. Several students are outside, studying.

"I spent the summer devising a whole new Quidditch program. We're going to train earlier, harder, and longer!" Oliver says then squints. "What the... I don't believe it!" Crossing the courtyard from the other side are seven boys in green robes, also carrying broomsticks. At their lead is Marcus Flint, trollish Slytherin Captain. Ron, sitting at a table with Hermione, looks up.

"Uh-oh. I smell trouble." Ron says

"Clear out, Flint! I booked the pitch for Gryffindor today." Oliver demands

"Easy, Wood. I've got a note." Flint say holding up a piece of parchment. As Oliver snatches the parchment from Flint's hand, Ron and Hermione comes up and stands next to us.

'I, Professor Severus Snape, do hereby give the Slytherin team permission to practice today, owing to the need to train their new Seeker.' Oliver said reading it out loud and looked up at the Slytherin Quidditch team annoyed.

"You've got a new Seeker? Who?" Oliver questions

A pasty-faced boy pushes to the front. It's...Malfoy

"Draco?" Harry says

"Seriously, Malfoy?" I said

And he glares at me. "That's right. And that's not all that's new this year..." Draco said, as one, the seven Slytherins hold out seven brand-new gleaming broomsticks. All of us was stunned.

"Those are Nimbus Two Thousand Ones" Ron said stunned

"A generous gift from Draco's father" Flint mentions

"That's right, Weasley. You see, unlike some, my father can afford to buy the best." Draco boasted

"At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their way in. They got in on pure talent." Hermione said confidently.

Draco snapped his head to her.

"No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood." Draco says

Everyone reacts as if Malfoy has said something horrific— everyone spect for Harry and Me. Harry looked puzzled as I tried to figure out what he meant. Muggle? Blood? Mud? What does mud- oh. Mudblood meaning, nope still don't get it. Instantly, Fred and George fly for Draco's throat. Oliver Wood holds them back.

"Save it for the match."

"You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" Ron said whipping out his wand. "Eat slugs!" Ron said pointing his cracked wand at Malfoy. A blot of green light scissors out the wrong end, hitting Ron himself in the stomach. As he he flys back and drops to the grass, Hermione runs to him.

"Ron! Say something!" Hermione said concerned. Ron opens his mouth and belches. Hermione draws back, and watches a trio of slugs dribble out his mouth. The Slytherins crow with laughter. Angrily, Ron rises, only to belch again. Fascinated, Colin Creevey runs up with his camera.

"Wow! Can you hold him still, Harry?!" Colin says eagerly

"Get out of the way, Colin!"

I looked at Ron disgusted and Colin looked at me.

"Can you?" Colin asked me

Before I could answer Harry looked at me.

"Let's take him to Hagrid." He looks at Hermione. "He'll know what to do."

"Uh..how about we take those photos later?" I said

And he smiles and nods

"Come on, Leon!"

Hagrid's Hut

Hagrid rummages about, looking for something.

"Got jus' the thing. Set 'im down on that chair o'er there." Hagrid says, as Ron sits, Hagrid pitches a a bucket between his knees. Harry, Me and Hermione glance up questioningly. Hagrid shrugs. I was sitting on the other side of Ron.

"Better out than in. Who was he tryin' ter curse anyway?" Hagrid says

"Malfoy. He called Hermione, well, I don't know exactly what it means..." Harry admits

"He called me a Mudblood" Hermione said quietly

"He didn'!" Hagrid said shocked

"I- I'm confused" I said

Hermione glances at me, then away, obviously pained.

"It means dirty blood. Mudblood's a really foul name for someone who was Muggle-born. Someone with non-magic parents. Someone... like me. It's not a term one usually hears in civilized conversation." Hermione explained

"Yeh see, Harry, Leon. There are some wizards -- like Malfoy's family -- who think they're better than everyone else 'cause they're what people call pureblood." Hagrid explained

"That's horrible" Harry says

Ron belches forth a slug. "It's disgusting!"

"An' it's codswallop ter boot. Dirty blood. There's 'ardly a wizard today that's not half-blood or less. If we 'adn't married Muggles we'd've died out long ago. Besides, they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can't do..." Hagrid said smiling at Hermione and he put his hand on her shoulder. "Don' you think on it, Hermione. Don' you think on it fer a minute."