24

Following our surprise gift exchange, Christian, Jenny, Claire, and I made our way to the hospital.

Claire had enthusiastically volunteered to donate.

Upon reaching the hospital, we strode in as a group, with Christian carrying our bag of gifts.

The hospital's atmosphere was vibrant and festive, illuminated by an array of lights and adorned with Christmas decorations.

At the front desk, we were greeted warmly by Fiona, a dedicated employee of the hospital.

"Hey, you guys!" She gave us a warm smile.

"Hey, here to give some gifts." Jenny pointed at the bag and smiled.

"I'll guide you to some rooms," She proposed, and we obliged, trailing after her.

Upon entering one of the rooms, we were greeted by the sight of a little boy. His face instantly brightened upon seeing us.

"Hi, Alex." I greeted him with a warm smile.

"Madison!" He smiled at me.

Sitting on the edge of his bed, I asked him, "How are you?" while gently stroking his cheek.

"I'm okay...the doctor said I'm getting better...I can't wait to see my dog and friends!" His words tumbled out in a joyful rush, his excitement obvious.

Alex was small with glasses. He has stage 2 brain cancer. He had no hair because of the treatment.

I've known Alex for almost a year. He's been fighting for a long time. Doctors say he might not have a chance but I know he does.

He has to.

"I believe in you," I reassured him with a warm smile, "and I have a surprise for you." As Christian handed me a gift from the bag, I offered it to Alex, "Here you are, sweetheart."

A wave of excitement washed over his face.

His grin, accentuated by some missing teeth, couldn't have been more endearing.

"A race car!" He exclaimed, cradling his present.

"You've been such a good kid this year you deserve it, bud." Christian added, smiling at him.

"I'm so proud of you for being so strong and fighting," I let him know how proud I was, "You're gonna get better soon." I smiled at him.

"Thank you, Madison." He embraced me, his small arms enveloping me in a heartfelt hug.

Returning his hug, I gently rubbed his back, fighting to maintain my composure for his sake.

Life is heart-wrenchingly cruel at times.

~~~

Playing alongside Alex with his beloved toy car, we chatted, both losing ourselves in the banter.

"Alright, my love, I have to go. I'll be back soon."  I reassured him, placing a soft kiss on his forehead.

"Bye!" His goodbye echoed, the glasses on his face sliding as he energetically waved me off.

Suppressing the surge of emotions welling within me, I let a solitary tear escape, cascading down my cheek. Swiftly wiping it away, I silently prayed no one noticed.

The next room welcomed me with a quiet tranquillity, in which a young girl of maybe twelve or thirteen was engrossed in her magazine, an easy reader designed for her age group.

"Hi there." I smiled at her.

"Oh, hey." Her response came, lifting her gaze from the vibrant pages.

"How are you?" I ask taking a seat at the edge of the bed, careful not to invade her personal space.