Chapter 43 夏 (Xià)

"Your Imperial Majesty, we need to follow that man." Xi Chen said urgently as his eyes followed the man's rapidly retreating body.

Ye An who was in a daze immediately went on high alert at the change of his tone. "Who is it?"

"It's the person who shot you during the Annual Hunt."

After that incident at the Annual Hunt, Xi Chen tried his best to track the perpetrator down but he never came close to a conclusion. But he finally bumped into the man here.

"Then let's go." Ye An said, recording the scent that she caught from the man in her mind.

Both of them waded through the crowd as they tailed the man to a secluded area that was away from the hubbub of the town. They nearly lost him a few times when he turned around the corners as they followed him into the slums of the southern plains. Unlike the buildings that she saw earlier which were well-kept despite their humble architecture, the buildings here were dilapidated and abandoned. Some of the buildings only had tarps as their roof and trash was scattered everywhere around the closely-packed buildings.

The man entered one of the larger residences in the area. From the outside, it seemed like the large property even had a few buildings in it. However, it was also in the same state of disrepair as the rest of the buildings surrounding it.

"What now? Do we follow him in?" Ye An asked in a whisper as they peered over the side of a building that was a short distance away from the residence.

"No, let's wait out here. It would only cause trouble for us if he has more people hidden in the building." Xi Chen said, his eyes never leaving the entrance.

After a few quiet minutes, there was a commotion at the entrance.

A silver-haired lady was chasing the man out with a broom. "Go! I don't want to see you! Go before I kill myself!"

"Why won't you come back to the capital with me?!" The man bellowed.

"Go! Don't bother me anymore!" The elderly lady slammed the door on the man's face.

The man sighed and turned away from the door and that was when Ye An finally saw the man's face. "Isn't that Minister Peng?"

"That explains it." Xi Chen mumbled.

Minister Peng had been taking a leave of absence for the past few weeks since the hunt. It was no wonder that Xi Chen wasn't able to catch him.

"Shouldn't we apprehend him now?" Ye An asked.

The workings in Xi Chen's brain quickly clicked into place. "No, we've identified him. So it's just a matter of time that he's apprehended. But we do need to know if there's more to this."

Both of them watched Minister Peng leave.