chapter fourteen: love someone

"When you love someone / You open up your heart / When you love someone / You make room"

-

Emily woke up in Hotch's bed. He wasn't beside her and she was shivering. "Hotch?" she groaned. "Hotch!"

"Yes?" He opened the bathroom door and glanced at her before looking back to his tie. "I'll be right back, darling, I have to go get Jack from his friend's house." Emily nodded and curled back up under the blanket. "I've already told him about us, so you're fine to stay right there." He kissed her forehead, making her smile, and headed out to get his son.

Emily decided to call Bridget, who was almost finished packing her things up from JJ's. They were moving that weekend. "Hey, what's up?"

"Morning, Bridge, how's it going? I'm still at Hotch's,"

"Yeah, figured. I'm almost done packing. Just got a few more things,"

"Good. Did you sleep okay?"

"Yeah,"

"Don't lie,"

"Okay, but I'm fine. I don't wanna talk about it,"

"Okay, honey. That's okay. Hotch just left to get Jack from his friend's, they had a sleepover, so I'll probably say hi to Jack and then come home, all right?"

"Yep. Sounds good. Love you, Mom,"

"Love you too, sweetheart. Okay, I'll see you later, bye,"

"Bye." Bridget sighed and JJ appeared in the doorway. "What's up?"

"You excited to leave? You can say yes, I won't be offended," she chuckled, joining Bridget on her bed.

"Nervous." Bridget sat for a moment before throwing her arms around JJ. "Thank you, Jayje. I'm still upset over everything, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I thanked you for being so kind to me. Thank you." JJ had tears in her eyes and hugged Bridget back.

"Bridget...you're...you've been like a daughter to me this past year. I am truly so sorry for what happened, and I'm sorry for not keeping you in the loop about it. I love you so much, Bridge. Truth be told, I'm a little sad you're leaving. But I'm really glad you get to be back with your mom."

-

When Hotch got back with Jack, the kid said hello to Emily and ran off to his room. Hotch smiled and kissed his girlfriend. "You stayed,"

"Yeah, I told Bridge I'd say hi to Jack and then head home, we're starting to move today,"

"I know. And I'm helping you,"

"Really?" Emily lit up. Hotch nodded. "Oh, you don't have to..."

"I want to. I'm dropping Jack for a playdate with Henry and I'm helping you and Bridget get set up,"

"Thank you so much, Hotch." She pressed up against him and kissed him. Her hand lingered on his chest. "Under all that ego and brawn I know there's a teddy bear somewhere in there for me." Hotch gave her a smile.

"Just for you, my darling."

Instead of taking two days, it took one, and Emily and Bridget were eternally grateful. Emily hadn't seen much of Bridget and Hotch's relationship since she'd been back. He was much more paternal with her now. On the inside, Emily beamed, glad they seemed to love one another as she'd hoped.

Jack begged to sleep at Henry's, and JJ agreed, so Hotch allowed it. He'd sleep at Emily's. In her bed he kept his arms around her, listening to her breathing in relative silence. Silence that was broken when she said, "I love you, Aaron Hotchner." These words put a smile on his face.

"I love you, too, Emily Prentiss,"

"Good. 'Cause I don't want you to leave me. Ever,"

"I wouldn't dream of it, beautiful." He stroked her hair at the top of her head. "I need you more than anything."

The comfortable silence returned. Emily was again the one to break it, saying, "Bridget really loves you, hmm?"

"I love her, I don't know how she feels,"

"Believe me," Emily scoffed, "That girl is so happy you're in her life,"

"And I'm happy to be in it. I love having a daughter, I love her. I...I was so scared at first," he laughed. "I didn't know if she'd like me. I'm normally very secure in myself but...with you, and with my kids...it's all different." Emily started crying. "My darling, what's wrong?"

"Nothing! Nothing's wrong, Aaron, I'm...I'm so..." Emily sat up and put her head in her hands, leaning forward as Hotch rubbed her back, sitting up beside her. She shook with sobs, hurting his heart.

"Did I say something?"

"No, well, yeah, but not...not bad," she said as she tried to catch her breath. He pulled her against his chest.

"What did I say, darling?" Emily sniffled and Hotch wiped her tears away. She leaned back against his chest and he held her tight. "Hmm?"

"You...you said, 'my kids'. Not 'Jack and Bridget'. Not 'my son and Bridget'. 'My kids'. She's your kid, Aaron..."

"Of—of course she is. Why are you upset?"

"I'm not! I'm so happy...I don't know why I'm so emotional," she chuckled, starting to cry again, "it just...it makes me really happy to hear that you see herself as her dad. I don't know if that made any sense, but all you really need to know is you just made your girlfriend very happy," she laughed, drying her eyes as he laid back down with her still in his arms.

"She is my daughter, Emily. Nothing will change that. Just because I didn't raise her for sixteen years doesn't mean I don't love her. I love the time we get to spend together now. I'm so grateful for the chance to be her dad. I love Bridget, and I love you, too, Emily." He kissed her head and let her sleep in his arms.