She's Mine: Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

Eliza sadly retorted, "I don't know!" 

"It's because you're happy Eliza! That's all it is. He doesn't understand what is going on, he may not even understand who you are anymore, and he is curious. He is curious about you. He is curious about his future... not yours or hers." 

Emmy took steps closer to Eliza and pet the side of her face, "And I don't think you know how to deal with the attention he is attempting to give you." 

Eliza looked at her with confusion, "But how come I don't want it?" 

Emmy tilted her head up and took her time to fix the collar to Eliza's shirt. As much as Emmy wanted to say the first thing on her mind, she knew there would be a point in the conversation where she would have to hold back and let the scared mom figure it out eventually. 

"All I wanted to do was come home and relax," Eliza sighed. 

"You're home," Emmy shrugged. "And now you and your baby can relax." 

Lulu apparently had something to add the conversation while showing her gums. 

"And please Eliza... smile... for her," Emmy grinned. 

Lulu was carried over to living room where her lamb blanket was already neatly spread on the floor. Eliza placed her baby bear down on her favorite blanket and laid beside her. Luckily, her frown didn't last for too long. Emmy grabbed a stepping stool and peeked into the living room from the kitchen. As progress is made, it's necessary for an problem to come hinder it all.  However, this obstacle was forever bound to the little baby and Eliza. But they've made it a long way, so far, and Emmy wasn't one to give up so easily.

Eliza dreaded the moment the elevator doors opened. Emmy's words resonated with her, but she was still on edge. If she saw him, she wasn't sure what she would do. She was relieved that she didn't have any meetings with Mr. Louis, but apparently none of that stability showed with John asking Eliza if she was alright at the end of her second meeting. The 10:30 session finally came to a close and a trip back to her office was halfway through.

But she was abruptly startled when heard her name echoing from a perpendicular hall. 

Stopping in her tracks, to the familiar voice, she looked to the side and saw Andrew standing in the distance. Without saying a word, she handed a folder to Vanessa, and the intern knew it was her cue to disappear with her task. Eliza turned to face him, but she couldn't move. There was a different look on his face; it was a look that didn't appear to hold any animosity.

Andrew slumped his shoulders even more to appear less threatening than usual, and to his relief it worked. She took a few uncomfortable steps to him and let her mouth form a thin line. Crossing her hands in front, she waited for his expression to change with baited breath.

"Eliza, we really need to talk about her... Lulu," he began with extreme discomfort.

She tilted her head forward, heavy bags underneath her eyes. Impressed with how she wasn't visibly trembling from fright, she let out a few little airs from her lips.

Yet, her eyes drifted down to his pocketed hands and to the floor beneath them. Eliza could hear him talking, but most of him was unclear. She wasn't sure why should couldn't focus on all but a few words that came out of his mouth, after he said their daughter's name. 

"Did you say you want to see her?" Eliza modestly interrupted, eyes still drifting around the ground. 

He shrugged, "Yeah, I want... you have to let me see her. Our baby." 

"Why?" she asked, but what followed her question was silence. 

Her eyes were on him again and finely narrowed. 

"She's our baby," he stated again and his general irritation was returning.

Eliza's chin was high up this time around. Her teeth were clenched together and within a few seconds, she was recalling their handful of torrid love affairs. There was a pattern with Andrew Louis solving before her.

Eliza hummed, "Mr. Louis do you recall those financial statements from Yancey I asked of you over a year ago?"

He lifted a thick brow and nodded with confusion.

"It took over a month to consolidate all of those long-winded numbers and documents," she fondly recalled. "Yet it was completed after long hours of effort and research." 

"What is your point, Eliza? That was just a random project we did so long ago," he scoffed, looking off to the side.

Eliza nodded, "And Bluestar has been rewarded greatly for it since the project was completed."

Andrew's eyes darted back and forth over Eliza's dazed appearance. Nothing about her was making sense to him, and it was beginning to make his face splotch with color.

Leaning forward, he snipped, "Eliza... what in the hell are you talking about?"

She shook her head, as to bring her back to consciousness and shrugged, "I'm sorry. I must still have baby brain."

Confused, but angry, he watched her taking confident strides away from him. The last image he caught of her face held a minor smile, but the moment she turned away her curled lips were twitching. With urgency she strode down the hall and past her office. Her destination was close and when she approached the frosted doors, she knocked with vigor. 

Troy hurriedly opened the door and Eliza kindly pushed her way in

"Liza, is everything–" Troy was cut off with a pair of pressing against his. 

She kept her eyes closed as she took the time to peel her lips away. The hands she placed on the sides of his face were to next to depart from him, but Troy took hold of her wrists. He slowly placed a kiss in the palms of her hands. 

"I want to say that you had this irrepressible desire to see me, but I think there is actually something wrong," he grinned. 

She lightly shook her head, staring at his lips, "Nothing's wrong."

Then he whispered her name, and her eyes rose up to his. She wondered why she couldn't simply say what she wanted– to be direct. Something was definitely wrong, but she was much too ashamed to even think the possibility aloud. To say the first thought that came to mind always felt like a mistake. But with Troy, her distressed mind didn't stand a chance. 

Eliza didn't want to stand a chance, and she surely didn't when Troy whispered, "Liza... talk to me."