𝟺. 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙲𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚘𝚏 𝙱𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚍

Start from the beginning

I was screaming.

I was screaming because Wilbur dislocated my thumb.

➸➸➸

A knock sounded at my door, the creaks in the boards assaulting my ears.

A low voice found its way to me. Their knock was a surprisingly pleasant melody to my senses. "Hello?
Y/n?" I didn't jump at the person's voice. I knew it well. But I tensed in the slightest at a person interacting with me.

I had taken off my cloak and it was now splayed across my desk, the remendants of last night evident beside it. A crystal glass I stole from Wilbur, and a vodka bottle I stole from Quackity.

Getting the task to kill your ex-friends was funny like that.

With urgency I flew to my desk wrapping myself in my dark cloak and bracing myself for the chill. I already had stashed a dagger in one of the handmade cloth slots, though for this person I didn't think I would need much artillery. He was more of the cunning type never to bold, only when it was meant to be.

The knocking had subsided, and I heard a heavy sigh from the other side of the door before I flung it open, not caring to be cautious. I already knew who it was. I already honed into my senses, checked the perimeter for signs of other human life.

Eret stood tall, clad in netherite, a gleaming crown perched on his head. Remembrance of his betrayal flooded back, the chamber, the blood, the death. But I didnt need to try to slip on my face today, my heartrate was calm. Wil had seen my talents for deceit quite quickly and made sure to apply that to our training. The only slip up was my temper one he tried to... stop me from having.

"Hey," I ventured, clasping the doors side for support. The nightmare had still not fully shaken from me, my knees wobbled slightly. I was always calm around Eret, but something played with the air, a chill I couldn't dismiss.

Oh right.
I had been called up to the Emperor's doorstep.
I'm guessing that would raise a few red flags.

Eret leaned on the door as well, his frame taut. They shifted on their feet, eyes on the door. "I wanted to check on you." The words seemed forced, sleepovers and late night snacks long forgotten. Something in his eyes remembered me, maybe cared for me. But it seemed so far away. A small star in many constellations. Eret had his kingdom now.

I cleared my throat, the action pulling me to the nightmare again. I cringed. "I'm fine," I nodded curtly leaving the side of the door and opening it slightly for them. Not an invitation to come in. I hadn't let someone in my cabin since-

Since Wil.

I sweeped over my wardrobe like silk, grabbing dark ripped jeans and a f/c crewneck. The wind was now running ruthlessly through the small house turning loose pages of a manuscript I was reading.

I didn't turn to him, keeping my eyes trained on what I was gathering. "Eret, I appreciate your concern. But I am fine." I snatched a collared polo from a hanger and threw the pile of clothes on my cot.

He fidgeted with his hands behind his back. When I finally looked back to him I tilted my head in concern of his stance. Why was he so torn? Hes King, Kings don't dabble in lower affairs.

They gripped the door again, not daring to pass the threshold. "Arachne," he sighed, his heart picking up in the slightest agitation. My heart chilled at the name. "Schlatt called you up there. Please you need to tell me what he wants and-"

I don't know what possessed me to do so but turned my eyes onto hers fully now, the once bright red turning murky. My expression was severe, jaw threatening to shatter, "Leave me."