15

Chapter Fifteen: A Bat Out of Hell

LANA

As I scroll mindlessly through my phone a few days later, a bold headline appears beneath my fingers.

Seventeen-year-old Zackary Ions Returns Home After Six-Month Disappearance

My stomach jumps into my throat. So he did go home. He's back. Selfishly, I wish I could've been there with him. I know how frightened he was of facing his father, despite his incessant denial. He made it clear he didn't need me anymore, though, so I need to forget about it. It should be unsurprising by now that yet another person can continue their life without me just fine.

But, whatever. I groan and roll out of bed. I can't miss another day of school. I already had to suffer through the "the government's going to fine me" speech yesterday and I'd rather suffer through school than suffer through my mother's nagging.

Sebastian drapes a heavy arm around my shoulder just as I approach my locker. The tape still remains from the Lana Carina is Awesome poster that's since been torn down.

"Hey, babe," he says cheerfully, squeezing me into a side-hug.

"It's seven-thirty," is my response.

He sighs happily and leans against a bordering locker. "It sure is. It's seven-thirty, one of my best friends is back in school, and the musical tryouts are this evening." He raises a hopeful eyebrow at me.

Singing in front of classmates I haven't spoken to in years is most definitely not on my to-do list for today. I'd rather exchange hate mail with Amelia, to be perfectly honest. But I remember promising Sebastian and Carly that I'd go to tryouts with them, and this means a lot to them, so I scrape from the bottom of my emotions barrel and garner all of the excitement I find there. Which is a distressingly low amount.

"What's the musical this year?"

"Hamilton!"

Of course. Carly hasn't shut up about that since it was announced a month ago. It's her favorite "hip-hop musical about the first Secretary of the Treasury of the United States" and when I tried to tell her it's the only hip-hop musical about the first Secretary of the Treasury of the United States, she wasn't interested in hearing it.

When I don't verbally reply, Sebastian says, "Please tell me you aren't backing out on us."

This is my chance to make up some pitiful half-truth about how I'm not feeling well today, but I keep it to myself for once and decide to do this for my friends. It's the least I can do for them after they've stuck by me through all my family bullshit and depressive episodes. And that weird three-month period in ninth grade where I wore nothing but bell bottoms with healing crystals in the pockets.

"Of course not. I can't wait."

Carly joins our group with such fervor she nearly rams me into my locker.

"Zack Ions is back," is the first thing out of her mouth and I try not to look pale. Can you suppress paleness?

"I heard," Sebastian says. "Have you seen him in person yet? Is he here today?"

"Yeah he is. I saw him in the common area before first bell."

"How does he look? Is he super skinny from all the meth he smoked?"

Carly slaps a hand over her glossy lips. "He smoked meth?"

"Who else disappears for months without even mailing a postcard?"

He has a point.

"He was probably attacked by a ravenous vampire and needed an adjustment period before assimilating back into society," I say in my head and to no one else.

I must've muttered something because the both of them are staring at me. "What'd you say, Lan?"

"Oh, uh, I haven't seen him yet. Did you talk to him?"

"Hell no," Carly implores. "He and I haven't been close since seventh grade Chemistry. I've only admired his physique from afar," she adds that last part with purposeful fluttering of her lashes.

"Really, Car? He accidentally ruined one of your purses. Isn't it time to get over it?" Sebastian asks judgmentally..

"It was my one and only Louis Vuitton handbag that my Mom bought me for my birthday. And he didn't just ruin it, his chemical experiment ate a gaping hole through the leather!"

"If we have to wear protective goggles, what made you think toting your new designer accessory into the lab was a good idea? You know I love you, but sometimes you don't think."

She waves him away. "Anyway, no he wasn't super skinny. He honestly doesn't look that different. Maybe a little sadder, but that's it."

I interject, "What do you mean by that?"

"Well he was with Grayson, Jordan, Amelia and her cronies, and they were all talking excitedly around him but his eyes were focused on something else, something in the distance."

I've seen that same disengaged look on his face. I wonder if he was distracted--by his thoughts or by his thirst.

"The man is probably just super tired from making love to gypsies and writing songs around a campfire. At least he's alive. His news story could have reported a lot worse."

We concede in silence.

Carly's eyes widen at something in the corridor opposite of where I'm facing. "Speak of the devil. He's walking down the hall right now, actually," she says in a whisper-scream.

"Fuck," Sebastian says. "He's on a mission."

"Is he looking at us? I-I think he's coming over here."

"Hey, Zack," Sebastian greets and I turn to see my undead friend posted next to my large, sassy friend. His hands are shoved in deep blue jeans that I recognize from our mall excursion.

"Hey, guys, how's it going?"

"Pretty good." Carly smiles. "How's your first day back? We were so glad to see you come home safely." She's flustered but also genuine. I wouldn't expect anything less.

"It's okay so far, I guess. Time will tell." A throaty chuckle.

He's looking at me, his gaze boring into my soul until I pipe up, "Long time, no see."

The crowd of people gathered in the bustling halls is bothering him. I can tell by the creases in his forehead. If he could do so without raising any more suspicion, I'd venture to guess that he'd run out of this school like a bat out of hell if given the chance. That plan actually piques my interest as well, and I nearly suggest it to him before he says, "We've got first period gym together. Wanna walk with me?"

Both Carly and Sebastian's faces say What in God's green earth but all they do is smile and tell me they'll catch me later before unknowingly leaving me in the most unconventionally awkward situation possible.