PROLOGUE: ROTTEN LITCHIS

"son."

"father," jungkook replied quick, letting the young rabbit hop off to the woods again as he stood up. he watched the little one roam around for a bit before he turned towards his old man, mentally preparing an excuse for what he's doing here instead of his sword practice– though he knows, against his father, none would be effective. he can control his scent, but the king can always sniff off his lies.

there's this heavy, sour scent already hanging heavy around him. a frown was itched on his father's face- which surprised him a little- even though he was already expecting it.

just, 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 was not the one.

sure, he may not get along with his father very well, but he 𝘬𝘯𝘦𝘸 he wasn't getting scolded today. he looked up towards him, carefully studying his father's face, which was filled with big, small scratches; rough and dark; and a few wrinkles indicating years and years of hard work and dedication: towards his land. despite all, it looked like a winter scenery to jungkook, serene. his father's scent was of rotten apples and snow, which he had a love-hate relationship with.

today there seemed to be dark clouds under his father's baggy eyes, filled with worry as he looked directly towards his youngest. it was rare.

"father?" he questioned, worried about what was to come. the country had just recently got out of a scarcity. some still recovering; and this look meant no good.

his father blinked, coming out of his trance. voice coarse, "jungkook, why are you here wasting your time? my gen-"

"father, tell me. what is it?" jungkook shifted his weight, tired of his father's habit of beating 'round the bush.

normally, with the spite between them, his father would have snapped, anger flaming for 'cutting off the king'- but today, he heaved a sigh, averting his gaze, "stop skipping your practices, you're not a kid anymore.'

'we have received a threat from kim. your mother and i have decided something."

kim.

"𝘮𝘺 mother?" jungkook asked, tone not very polite, even though he perfectly understood what the king meant.

his father wasn't very pleased, cold snow and shrewd apples pricked his skin. the king stepped closer, already on edge, "your mother, jungkook, seokjin's mother.'

'i want you to listen and understand what i'm saying very carefully. you're not a child, and i'm not going to treat you as one either. this is important. 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 mother and i have made a decision important for the country and it's citizens."

the look on his father's face was grave, and being one head taller than him prompted jungkook to keep his mouth shut. he tried controlling his pheromones, but nervousness was making his scent gland itch. the dark clouds wandering near his father eyes seemed to throw bolts at jungkook, like a thunderstorm was soon approaching. and he shouldn't mistake to dance in it like it was summer rain- if he doesn't want to get hit by lightening.

"decision?"

"kim has sent us a letter, a 'last warning,' it says. i know we have had letters like these in the past, but we can see his men on our border, armed, ready. we have sent the messenger back with some terms and negotiations, but we will be declaring war: day after tomorrow, after dawn."

"what? wha- what? 𝘸𝘢𝘳? father, are you sure?" jungkook was perplexed, he wasn't expecting this. it is not unusual, no: when the whole country, korea, is not united, kings fight for land, fight for- for anything. hell, he has seen enough politics and crime in his own family as he learned to live as a 'royal'.

but after such a crisis–

"it's inevitable. i know what my people had to go through, and- and they are still recovering but- there is no point. it's either us, or it's them. the conclusion is the same. i want you to prepare for it too, son-"

"wait, i- ? what? what?"

the king sighed, "can you stop interrupting me? what is it-"

"you'll let me participate in the war?" jungkook asked, eyes big.

the king frowned at jeongguk's enthusiastic litchi scent whirling around– it's cold,  jungkook averted his gaze, awkward. "i will, if you promise me you won't skip your practices. we are not going to play with rabbits over there, right?"

jungkook winced at the obvious dig at him, but nodded nonetheless. "sorry," he said quietly, if it's an apology his father is looking for.

the king clears his throat, and then there's silence.