Part 13: The Rooftop

As Ladybug landed on her rooftop she quickly turned back into Marinette.

"I've never seen a Ladybug from the future before," Tikki said. "But I do know that they wouldn't have come back unless it was an emergency."

"I wonder why I chose her," Marinette said. "Did I get old? Was I sick? It's weird to think about."

"Do you think she knows your secret identity?" Tikki said.

"Actually, I do"

Marinette jumped in surprise as Emilie had just jumped up behind her. "How did you find me?! Were you followed?! What are you doing here?!"

"Ok ok listen!" Emilie said, trying to comfort her. "In the future, I know your secret identity and you know mine. And I came back because, well, I don't have anywhere else to go."

"What do you mean?" Marinette asked

"Well, it's probably for the best that my brother and I split up. We can't have the two Miraculous in the same place without risking Hawk Moth getting them both."

"I guess that makes sense," Marinette said

"Also, we're in the past. We don't exactly have a place to stay."

They looked over the Paris skyline. In the future, it would be impossible to see the stars due to all the digital advertisements and billboards creating light pollution. But here in the past, the lights were fewer, and Emilie could see at least 50 stars.

"You probably want to know who I am right? I mean, who I really am?"

Marinette nodded.

"Well, the first thing you need to know is that Thomas is my actual brother. He's a huge geek and he's stupid sometimes, but he's a kind person. Our last name isn't really Dupain, that was Thomas being bad at lying on the spot."

Marinette laughed. "So what is your last name?"

"I can't tell you that, it could alter the future. But I can tell you that you know our parents."

"I do?" Marinette asked

"Yeah. But that's all I can tell you! No more!"

Marinette laughed again. "Can you tell me more about how you got here? And why you came?"

Emilie's expression turned somber. "It's because of Hawk Moth," Emilie said. "He's here in the past because he wants to take our Miraculous. He has our parents and if we don't stop him he'll akumatize them. You and Cat Noir didn't come because he captured you as well. You gave us your Miraculous because you didn't want them to end up in Hawk Moth's hands."

"Does he know our identities too?" Marinette said

"Yes. But he can't attack you directly without altering his own history."

"How did you even get here?"

"The same way he did," Emilie said. "Time travel. He used Time-Tagger to do it and send himself here. After we de-akumatized him, Bunyx sent us back here to take care of Hawk Moth. She couldn't come because if she interfered she'd change her own history."

"Hey," Marinette said. "While you're here I can try to talk to my parents and get you to stay. You could sleep in my room and Thomas can sleep on our couch! My parents won't mind if it's only for a few days."

"You're very kind Marinette. Thank you."

Marinette then looked at Emilie and touched her shoulder. "I'll also do everything I can to help you, Emilie. We'll find this new Hawk Moth and stop him. After all, he's never taken on two Ladybugs before has he?"

Emilie giggled. "I guess not." Emilie then looked out on the Paris skyline, grateful for her Mother's wisdom. "I guess not."