The fact that he was in a good mood was enough to ease some of my anxiety. Dealing with Jesse when he was in a good mood was so much easier than dealing with him when he was in a bad one. When he was in a good mood, he was almost easy to get along with. When he was in a good mood, he reminded me of the guy that I had fell for in the first place.

Jesse didn't wait for me to answer him before climbing out of the car and slamming the door behind him. He opened my door for me, extending his hand for me to take. I looked at it hesitantly. I didn't want to take it. I didn't want to touch him at all. Yet, I knew I would have to. Jesse wouldn't give me a choice. He never did.

So, reluctantly, I placed my hand in his, and climbed out the car. When I looked back at his face, I realized that he had been watching me, as he if was waiting to see what decision. I was going to make. I seemed to make the right one, because he was looking at me in a way that almost made butterflies erupt in my stomach.

Almost. Those butterflies might have flown wildly... if I didn't fucking hate his guts.

I could hear Brett talking to Clara as Jesse led me through the parking lot to the resturant. He was making small talk with her. He seemed almost anxious to please her, to make her feel like she was having a good time. His voice was gentle, and soft like he was trying to seem pleasant. It didn't surprise me. Brett had always been wildly in love with Clara. When he finally got her to agree to go out with him, he treated her the best he knew how. That's just Clara, though. She's impossible to hold on to. In fact, no one seems to be able to keep her in one place for long. But when Clara broke his heart... he changed. He wasn't a good guy anymore. He became more like Jesse.

Brett always tried to get Clara to come back to him. He had never succeeded, until now. Now that he had something to make her come back.

Jesse was silent as we walked into El Arrecife. The familiar smell hit my nostrils almost immediatley. The spices from the food being cooked in the back and the smell of cheap alochol that was being drained by teenagers all mixed as one. The music being sung in Spanish hit my ear drums. The way the lights were so dimmed that I had to take a minute to adjust my eyes. Immediatley, Jesse waved to the people that he knew. It looked like the majority of the football team was here, and suddenly, I doubted that this was a spontaneous outting. The way that Jesse pulled me into his side, his arm wrapping around my waist as he kissed my cheek confirmed that fact. We were here for show.

The hostess, who was wearing a dress so tight that I doubt she was able to breathe, led us to a secluded table in the back. Away from most of the teenagers who were drunk out of their minds, and away from the crowds of kids who were gathered around the two pool tables.

Jesse pulled out my chair, gesturing for me to sit down. I did just that, and when I looked back up towards him, I noticed the way his eyes were lingering on the hostess. He wasn't even trying to hide it. He dragged them up and down her body, and I cant be sure, but I'm almost positive he winked at her. She looked confused, her eyes darting between Jesse and I, like she was trying to figure out if he really had the nerve to so openly admire her while on a date with me.

"It's been a while since we all did this." Brett said almost immediatley once we were seated. Clara was across the table from me, her fingers fidgeting on the white tablecloth that was laid on the table. She was really trying to keep that smile plastered across her face, but I could see it faltering.

"It has." Clara agreed, snapping her fingers away from the table like she had just realized she was moving them awkwardly.

"Yep." I agreed, noticing that the tone of my voice was sharper than I intended it to be. Clara looked at my face immediatley, and sent me a warning with her eyes.