0.8

There will always be a comforting presence lurking behind you when you wake up, wrapped in your mate's arms. You felt worthy and protected with your mate, male or female. I've always dreamed that to happen when I found my mate.

  A lot of older mated wolves told us that love for mates came easily, unlike humans. Humans took months or even years to start to fall for their significant other and realize that they were the One. Wolves took one glance at their mate and know that they were the One; I thought that was the beauty of our kind.

   In humans' eyes, our relationships happened too fast. In our werewolves' eyes, it happened at a regular pace. Now, I have never heard of mates marking each other right away because that was illogical and you were bound to them forever. No rejections, at all.

    I've heard of rejecting mates, but it was rare. There was a logical reason like one mate doesn't like the other mate's personality and can't stand them. It's happen before. Or like they have a brewing hatred of one another in the past. Logical, but rare and hated for.

  Those were the thoughts I had at the pack meeting concerning the Lockwood pack and if they were going to join us. I've talked about this to Tristan right after our... Well finger thing. We should allow them to join us and to watch each other's backs. It's what we should do.

   Legible wolves voted on a scrap of paper and Ryder was counting them. There were about forty wolves that couldn't vote because they were on boundary duty, but we still had enough. Ryder was almost done when Dad chose to speak up.

  "Ladies and gentlemen." Dad's voice boomed off the walls. "We have not addressed our recent rogue attack. Thanks to Kenna's help, we ran the rogues far away from our boundaries and found out what their plan was. Now, we are still advising how we are going to deal with this rogue issue, but I want to thank you fighters for being brave and protecting your pack. Also, thank you for the guards who stood inside or outside of the safe rooms, protecting children and non-fighters. It looks like Ryder is done with counting the votes, so we have our decision."

  Even though Stella and Ryder had broken up, Dad treated him like his own son. His eyes got a little fonder whenever he looked at Ryder and you could tell that he had high hopes for the boy. I remember hearing Dad, one night, talking to Mom about how he wanted Ryder to be my mate, so he could take over the Alpha title.

  After finding out that Tristan was my mate and not Ryder, that night kept on replaying itself in my head. What if Dad doesn't approve Tristan as being the future Alpha, and only the future Beta? If Tristan becomes the future Alpha, then Ryder will take over the Beta position since Tristan's little brother won't be grown enough to do so.

   I know that went around Tristan's mind, too, because lately he's been sucking ass to Dad. Dad has been privately teaching him with battle strategy and fighting. Tristan has been assisting Beta Harrison with his choices and they've been going good so far. He's been taking care of the pack's children and babies, resorting with his homework time falling down and ending up with mediocre grades.

  Let me tell you, Tristan loves his grades. He's been a straight A student since forever and now he's getting B's which was abnormal. He was just so focused on impressing Dad that he hasn't been looking after his own self.

  Glancing at him on the other side of the room, I could see that he was sitting up straight in his chair and his shoulders tense. His face remained emotionless and unmoving while Beta Harrison was talking circles around him. He looked too much of a man than a high school boy.

  With this thought in mind, I was determined to talk to him about this after the meeting.

  Ryder whispers in Dad's ears, low enough that nobody could strain their ear strength to hear. Dad nods, not showing any indication of what was happening with the Lockwood pack and us. Ryder steps aside, allowing Dad to take the head of the table and start to speak.