Mr. Hunter stood on the other side. The lights were off in the living room so that his face was hidden in darkness. I noticed that there was a red spot on his shirt.

Was that... blood?

Oh my God, Noah!

"Hello, pretty Parker," he greeted. His voice sounded pleasant and polite, but it only made me feel more creeped out. "It's really late to come in for a visit now, don't you think?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat, forcing my mouth to speak. My hands started to shake. "H-hello, s-sir. Is Noah h-home?"

"No," his voice hardened. "He's not."

"I just n-need to borrow his notes. We have an English test tomorrow."

"He's not here," he replied tersely.

"Are you sure?" I prodded. The thought of Noah lying on the ground unconscious gave me the gumption to keep pushing. "I thought I heard him a few minutes ago. He might have come in the back door and you just haven't seen him? Please, Mr. Hunter. I really need those notes. My mom wouldn't be happy if I failed my exam."

"I'll make sure to tell him when he gets home."

"Okay. Maybe you can—"

He closed the door in my face.

I stood there for a moment, staring at the door. Mr. Hunter had been nothing but courteous with me since we met, but tonight he was different. There was an air of... belligerence that I felt around him.

You're lucky he didn't pull you inside and cut you up into pieces, stuff you in a garbage bag and throw you in the river.

But Noah... I had to get in somehow. Or maybe call the police. Something.

My heart jumped in my throat when I heard a sound coming from the backyard. I hid behind the bushes and sagged in relief as Noah came into view. His hoodie was up, covering his face, and a backpack slung on his shoulder.

Where was he going?

I didn't hesitate. I followed him quietly, making sure he didn't see me.

 This was crazy.

It felt crazy. But I had to know if he was okay. If he needed help.

If he was... running away.

I knew from the direction he was taking that he was going to the clearing. When he slowed his steps, I panicked and jumped in the bushes.

"Ow! Crap."

It felt like I might have stepped on roses or something with sharp needles, their thorns poking my skin.

And then...

Noah's face came into view.

Crap.

"What the hell?" He sounded incredulous.

I bit my lip. "Hi."

What else could I say?

He blew out a frustrated breath, raking his hands in his hair. "You ask for too much trouble, Legs."

I wished there was light or that he would remove his hoodie so that I could see his face. But his face remained hidden in the dark.

He spun around and kept on walking, ignoring me.

"Go home," he ordered, not bothering to look behind him.