9. Close Encounter

Start from the beginning

She heard the car door open and nearly jumped out of her skin. She turned around to see him slip back in.

"I think I owe you an apology," he muttered when he'd closed the door again.

"Urrghuh?" was her incredibly articulate response as she stared at him.

"I realize I overreacted. I shouldn't have gone all wolf on you for having a life before me," he said sounding as if every word was causing him physical pain.

Vanessa gaped at him. He looked over to her with furrowed brows.

"Well? Aren't you going to say something?" he asked.

Vanessa closed her mouth and swallowed.

"Where... where did your shirt go?"

He looked at her as if she had suddenly grown an extra head.

"It ripped when I turned. Why?"

"But you... you managed to find pants?"

"Yeah, well I grabbed a pair of jeans from my pack in the back of your truck. Thought you might not like it if I got in your car all naked. I can take them off again if you'd like?"

"No thank you, that's alright."

"Are you sure?" he asked, winking suggestively.

Vanessa glared at him. She didn't understand how he could go from angry to contrite to flirty in a matter of moments. It threw her off balance.

"So. You were saying about being a possessive, jealous asshole?" she asked and watched his face turn angry again. It made those lovely green eyes sparkle.

"Well I can't say I'm happy about having a mate who sounds as if she's been going out with half the wolves in the state but ... "

"Please, most of them weren't wolves and why would I stick to just one state?"

She could see him tense up. It did wonderful things to the very toned muscles on his chest and stomach that were currently on full display.

"What... what is that supposed to mean?"

"Well, sure, I've dated a few rogues, but I mostly go for humans. More to choose from, you know? Though I was seeing a vampire a few years back," she made a grimace. "It's nothing I recommend."

"You... you... a vampire?" he asked and his voice nearly broke on the last word.

"Yup. Well, I was living in New Orleans at the time and that place is practically infestested with the suckers. No pun intende..."

"You dated a vampire?" he yelled.

Vanessa nearly flinched and wondered if he was going to turn into a wolf again. He looked as if he had a very weak grip on his control. 

If he flipped on her again she wasn't letting him back in the car.

"Yes. I dated a vampire," she said. "For three years."

She studied his reaction. His eyes were closed and he was breathing heavily. This really was too easy.

"You know, I perfectly understand if you have issues with interspecies-relationships. It's fine if you'd rather go back to Indiana and find a nice little virgin who will have nothing to compare you to and will be easily bend to whatever decisions you ..."

"NO!" he yelled and turned to stare at her.

She could see the veins on his neck throbbing, his tense shoulders and fisted hands. If just talking about her exes sent him into a state like this she didn't want to think about how he would react to why she'd been thrown out of her pack. Well, it wasn't as if he was going to be around long enough to find out. In fact, hadn't she already decided to make sure he left right away? Vanessa decided to give him a final push.

"You know that vampire, Jerome, he used to love riling me up so much I nearly shifted. He said my blood tasted much better if I was angry. Not that I was complaining. The make-up sex afterwards was ..."

Vanessa didn't get to finish her sentence as Green eyes launched himself at her with a force that nearly made her slam her head against the window. She caught herself and started to raise her arms in an attempt to defend herself when his lips came crashing down on hers and she forgot about everything but the taste of him.

***

Authors note: 

And we're back on track! There will be new updates on this story every week. I have a basic idea of where this is going, but I'm not a plotter. I like to discover where the characters go, when they go there. A serendipiter a friend of mine calls me. I'd love to hear your thoughts and feelings on what should happen next.

Your adoring author,

Sanna