Prologue : An Evil Stirs

• Dedicated to Christopher Paolini

Prologue : An Evil Stirs

       The night was dark for the moon was nowhere to be seen. The cold would have freezed the blood in the veins of any normal beings but it didn't seem to have much of an effect on the group of 11 people who sat down on the now-cleared forest floor. The howling of the wolves pierced the until-then calm surroundings. But nothing affected the group of 11.

10 of them sat legs-folded and backs upright in a circle around one in the middle. Of the 10 four were unmistakably elves - pointed ears,slanted eyes and lithe cat-like features. Three were human and two were stocky dwarfs with braided beards. A lone Urgal completed the group.

But in the center of the group sat the most dangerous among them all, a Razac. The unmistakbly male species sat in a trance-like state with his eyes closed. 

Then together, all 10 of the people in the circle started chanting in the Ancient Language. The otherwise pleasing sound of the Ancient Language turned distinctly evil. They chanted at a frightening speed. Nothing stopped them. Nothing bothered them.  Even the wild animals kept away in fear of the strong sense of terror and evil which pervaded the area. 

For what seemed like hours they kept on chanting at a speed which made everything they said uncomprehensible. In the course of the chanting, a human and an elf fell due to sheer exhaustion. The others continued and their concentration on the task at hand did not waver.

After a  few more minutes, 15 glowing, colourfalls spherical beings entered the clearing, fillinf with a multi-coloured light. They gathered around the Razac and circled him like the planets did for the sun. They continued until a loud, silence-splitting shriek erupted from the mouths of the remaining magicians. The spirits entered the Razac. With immediate effect the Razac changed. He stiffened and shuddered for a moment beofre he opened his eyes, which now reflected pure malice. His body slowly turned whiter. Then in a voice which gave one nightmares he said "Our name is Vergand. Fear us."

 ----------------------------------------------------------