25 - Always connected

Start from the beginning

"Hi, I'm Yoo Jeongyeon. Did you like my dad's cookies? He baked them all for you. Welcome to the neighborhood, I guess?"

The line is a bit blurry in his head, but Jimin is sure it were the words she said to him days after Jeongyeon came into their house with Seungyeon to bring pastries their father made.

Jimin would've introduced himself then, yet it was a bad day for him and he was mad at his mom. He used to be a bit of a stubborn brat then.

The memory of his little, old, thick-headed self catches him on a daze. He recalls it in his mind, and the thought of Jeongyeon being so nice to him even when he ignored her in the beginning has him punching his fists in the air.

It was the same reason why he knew then he'd love her for a long time. Her kindness, her honesty, her confidence.

She's the only person he could ever be so attached with, like she holds the other half of his being. Like they're connected, through their souls, through a string that keeps them together.

He smiles at her, shaking her hand and plays along with her stunt. "Hello. I'm Park Jimin. I loved your dad's cookies. They're so good actually. Thank you. It's so nice to meet you."

Her eyes are glistening, her cheeks flush in pink hues, nose scrunches as it matches the color spreading across her face due to the crying she did nearly an hour ago.

They both take in each other for a moment of peaceful silence, under the dark night sky with clouds hovering above them... until a sound of loud cheer catches their attention, making them turn their bodies around.

There are two teenagers, in high school uniforms as one of them, a boy carries a huge sports bag on his shoulder, and the girl walking alongside of him is singing a chant with his name.

She's jumping around crazily like a cheerleader screaming out in support of him, who's sweating a buck and looks as if he had just finished a game, probably soccer and Jeongyeon could feel her heart warming at the scene.

"His team lost in the game so she's cheering him up..." she says, crossing her hands over her chest and Jimin looks at her and shrugs, then back at the two standing right across the street.

"How do you know?" he asks, eyes fixated on the way the boy is holding back a smile while the girl continues on shaking his body with her arms.

"Usually, when you win any sports game, you have one of those afterparties.. but he's going back home right after so maybe he did lose."

Jimin nods, agreeing she's right about her assumption but he couldn't stop staring at them as much as she does too so they have their attention stolen completely.

It isn't until the girl takes a step back from the boy and pouts, causing worry to fill in his eyes before he moves closer to reach for her hand.

"You can still play someday even without anyone watching... and I would be there to scream your name at the top of my lungs. It won't matter, you know? Because you will always be the best player for me, and I'll be here as the president of your fandom whether or not you continue to gain fans."

The words that came out of the girl's mouth hits close to home for Jeongyeon, her heart picks up its pace as she shifts where she's standing, with Jimin's back facing her, the sudden urge to jump in straight and hug him soars inside.

She had told him the same words then, whenever he was in competitions with his dance team, making sure he doesn't come home disappointed; she used to create banners for him, help his mom cook his favorite food so when he returns and if his team fails to make it, the little surprise would automatically bring a smile to his face.