Chapter 10: Gossip is faster than feet

My wish is fulfilled by some compassionate fairy because I don't see the Duke for the whole week after our marriage.

In the end, I've had to leave my chambers and venture into the palace.

I was invited to drink tea with some noblewomen, and my personal maid advised me to accept at least this request. I guess she wouldn't have talked if she didn't have a good reason to.

She's not the least concerned about my image, so the one that told her to counsel me is the Duke.

«It will be a small gathering, and your grace will surely prefer to have tea with a few people rather than to converse with tens of strangers,» she added.

Just like that, I was introduced to the wives of some middle-tier nobility. The Duchesses are too high to meddle with me, while lower-ranking Baronesses don't dare to approach. In the end, I agreed to talk with Countess Burbon and her closest friends.

«Welcome to our humble gathering, Duchess Kyre,» the woman greets me with a motherly smile.

I reply with a polite grin and walk with her to a table set with snacks and teacups. It's the first time that someone calls me 'Duchess'. I'm not sure whether I can use that title, nor how are people supposed to address me. I don't think that the Duke will care if I don't use it to his cost.

The gathering turns out to be four women, with ages that span from thirty to fifty, drinking tea and talking gossip.

I'm not really interested in their conversation, as I don't know who the people they're talking about are. However, I smile and follow them with my eyes. It's boring, but I can't just leave and look for something else.

My everyday life is boring as well, nothing amusing is waiting for me in my chamber. I might as well stay here and wait for time to pass like I've been doing for the whole week.

«Oh, Duchess, we have to ask you...» the younger of the women utters, at some point. She turns to me with a cunning smile, and I already know that the hard part will start now.

«Are the rumours about the Duke true?» she inquires, her eyes shining with curiosity. Her lips curl up, and she bows slightly in my direction as if she's going to hear the biggest secret of the entire universe.

«I don't know what the rumours say,» I explain, smiling politely. «I haven't been here for that long.»

Am I even supposed to defend my husband? I don't know what everyone thinks about him, so I have to be careful not to ruin his image. Nor to destroy any attempt he might have done to be considered cruel and merciless.

«Well, I heard that the servants had to wait out of the door, the morning after your marriage. The Duke had thrown everyone out because he wanted to stay with his new Duchess...»

Oh, so even the noblewomen heard of that. Good. It means that the rumour spread wide and reached just everyone's ears. The Duke won't be able to invalidate the marriage, so I'm safe until he decides to kill me.

I simply nod, hoping that their questions will end here. I don't have anything to add. These are ladies, so they won't ask about indecent details. At least, I hope it's the case.

«How improper from his side! I knew he was cruel, but to this extent...»

I lift my eyebrows, surprised. This is not what I was expecting.

What is improper in sharing a bed with a wife? Maybe it's because morning is not a proper time? Since I was the one to ask the Duke to stay, I am the shameless person among the two of us. I hope the Duke is less chatty than the servants, though. I don't want just anyone to know how my married life and bedroom practices are.