Chapter 5: Cultural differences (2)

I eat, trying to keep my movements as slow as possible.

In the Empire, they don't use forks. They eat with a small knife and their fingers. At least, there are two bowls of scented hot water on the table, so that one can clean their hands between a course and the other. The chicken is juicy, and a lot of different spices and ingredients dance on my tongue. It's such a complicated receipt, but it's likeable. Not to mention that I'm starving, so I would be complimenting even stale bread.

Ethirians drink a lot of wine during their meals, rather than water or juices.

That's why the small cups are already filled with a red liquid. It looks thick and strong from here. I take a sip, and I find out that it indeed is a wine full of aromas. I have to admit that it goes well with the food, though. They complement each other.

My meals have always been accompanied by water, and I always thought that anything else would hide the real taste of the food. However, it doesn't seem to be the case with this combination. My taste buds are melting, right now, and I can't help but close my eyes to better sense the softness of the meat.

When the first cup is over, I pour another one. I'm starting to feel dizzy, but thirst wins over worry.

My pledged husband observes me with curiosity, following my hand while it sinks in the closest bowl of warm water. He doesn't move his eyes away even when my clean fingers wrap the cup and bring it to my lips.

«Drink some water,» the Duke says, and he gets up to bring the carafe and a clean glass for me.

I choke, surprised. Has a noble just stopped eating and got up from the table only to serve a prisoner?

This is not some cultural difference, that's for sure. I've seen the expressions of the people in the throne hall, and the deference of the servants. I've seen the protocols they use while addressing the Emperor or another noble, and the manners reserved for commoners and war prisoners.

A Duke would never interrupt a meal for anyone other than his majesty himself. What is happening with my husband, then?

He's probably toying with me, but he's been rather polite and kind.

He didn't look too surprised when the Emperor declared our marriage, now that I think of it.

I sip the water, while the scenes from the throne hall pass in my mind. Then, I remember the only conversation we had before this day.

It was during the last negotiations for peace.

Polis' delegation had offered the use of the harbour for ten years, at first, but Ethiro refused. They said they wanted us to admit defeat and surrender.

As the negotiations got further, my strategist didn't see a way out. We had no other choice but to offer more.

In exchange for the life of the city, we gave up on our independence. We became part of the Empire.

Also, as war compensation, Polis offered a total of a hundred slaves. This Queen personally selected those that would become prisoners among a group of volunteers. Just like that, fifty young girls and fifty boys departed towards the capital.

After I arrived in the capital, I haven't seen anyone of them. The youths must have already been sent to the nobles they will serve. They were a tremendous sum to pay for a city of the dimensions of Polis.

When we presented our last offer, the Duke was there. He was standing a step behind the old general, and he was more relaxed than anyone his age would be in that position.

When I leaned the paper with the offers on the table, he looked at me with his black eyes, and he smiled.

«Will the Queen be among those hundred people?» he asked with a smirk that made me shiver. I didn't pay any attention to the fact that the generals didn't glare at him for the intrusion. My focus was on obtaining the most from the meeting.