Chapter 16- Okay Fine

Start from the beginning

I looked towards the other members of the team. Michelle was independently typing away on her own computer, while Tucker was violently banging the side of the printer in attempts to get it to work.

"Tucker, you're going to break it into pieces again!" Natalie said in a distressed tone. She hurriedly made her way over to the other side of the room and worked her magic.

-----------

Dad and I were sitting at the dinner table when I found the courage to speak on what I had wanted to ask him.

"I think I want to get a job."

He lowered the fork of food he was about to pop in his mouth and dropped it on his plate. Then he stared at me silently.

Then, he started chuckling.

"What's so funny about me wanting to pick up some responsibility?"

He cleared his throat after a while. "You don't want a job Row. Why would you want a job when I give you money for free?"

"Because you won't buy me a camera so I think I should work to buy one of my own."

"Okay... that's oddly responsible of you."

"Mhm, just thought it would be faster to get one myself. Plus, you haven't bought me one because I haven't earned one yet," I said with exaggerated quotations, even though he hasn't heard a single complaint from any of my teachers, the principal, or any parent of another teen at my school. "This way I'm still working for it, but it won't come out of your pocket."

He nodded his head slowly, clearly agreeing with him saving some money on getting it for me himself.

"Where would you even work?"

"Jimmy's diner is hiring, I saw a help wanted sign on the door just last weekend."

He squinted his eyes, "How are your grades? I don't want you falling behind in your schoolwork."

"Straight A's dad. I won't be falling behind."

He took a deep sigh in consideration. "I don't know Row. Isn't Jimmy's off of Industrial and Greenville? That's not a very safe part of town."

"Dad I basically spend the same time eating there than I would be working there. If you wanted to worry about the location, you should have said something years ago before setting me and Cyrus into an obsession over that diner."

He knew it was true. I was six years old the first time Cyrus and I ever tried Jimmy's. Dad took us after a long and exhausting beach day. We were instantly hooked on the French fries and the cookies and cream milkshakes.

Over the years, a small and steady rise in crime wouldn't stop Cyrus and I from going there as soon as we got our driver's licenses.

"Ahhh," he groaned in uncertainty.

"Come on dad pleeeease. You know you like the idea of me earning my own money, you're just putting up a concerned dad front."

"There's no front about my concern Row. There's a lot of dark things out there," he said tensely.

It had been obvious he was stressing about work more than usual. I could see it in the way his shoulders would sag from exhaustion when he thought I wasn't looking. I could see it in his eyes, even when he hid it with a smile. But dad never liked to talk about work.

"Well then it's a good thing you raised a badass," I said finally.

He let out a short breath of laughter with a half-smile. Finally, he looked up from his food. "Okay fine. It's no guarantee, but you may apply."

I silently wiggled in excitement. "Oh, I am so getting that job. Thanks pops."

I went back to eating my casserole, feeling extra proud of the fact that it was the second time that day I had convinced someone to tell me, 'Okay fine.'

A/N: Suprise Monday update! One of my shorter chapters, but all still relevant information

No goon content this chapter, but I hope to still be seeing you all for the regular Friday update ;)

As always, thanks for reading!❤️