Chapter 29

Alex's POV

The clock strikes three am. I watch as Stephanie comes out of my bathroom, looking more relaxed than when she stepped in.

I open the covers and she slowly gets in. "Alex I don't have too-"

"Stop" I cut her off. "I want you right here with me"

It's going to be the first night she'll be sleeping in my bed and I don't have an ounce of anxiety in my body.

Tonight was probably the worst night of my life. When she called me I knew something was wrong. I knew she wouldn't just call to say goodnight.

My heart stopped the second I heard her cry. I didn't know what to think. Not only was I still a bit groggy because it was half past twelve at night but I knew she was at her parents house for the night. So I really didn't know what was wrong. I just knew I had to get to her.

She cuddles into my side and I wrap my arm around her as we sit halfway up the headboard. I run my hand through her hair and my eyes can't help but focus on her bruised eyebrow. She claims it wasn't that hard of a hit but it's definitely going to be blue tomorrow.

And I am not fucking happy about that.

"Thank you for coming to help me." she breaks the silence and I find her eyes searching for my attention.

"I will do anything for you Stephanie. You know that." I whisper back and give her a soft kiss on the lips.

"I know" she sighs and puts her hand on my chest and guides it up towards the back of my neck. "I still feel bad. This was all my fault and it was.... No, still is really late."

"Don't even think about the time that doesn't matter to me. I am so glad you called me. I would've been really really upset if you didn't." I point my out in all seriousness.

"I know baby." she softly smiles.

"Can you please tell me what happened? And why the fuck were you on the road?" I breathe out in disbelief.

I keep thinking about what could've happened. She could've gotten really hurt. She could have knocked herself unconscious and stayed there the whole night without nobody knowing.

She could've...

"Hey" she touches my cheek, drawing me back to reality. She probably saw me zone out for a second. "I am sorry I was on the road. It was a really stupid thing to do. I just couldn't stay in that house anymore."

"What happened?" I ask again, tightening my grip around her waist, pulling her closer to me for comfort.

"My dad knows about us" she sighs and my whole body goes cold.

"But he won't tell anyone." she quickly adds. "He cares to much what people would say about his not-so perfect little family."

"Baby-" I breathe out.

"No, no Alex" she sits up in front of me. "It's really fine."

"You could lose your job and probably never teach again." I whisper with a frown. I don't think she knows how serious this is.

"Alex" she wraps her arms around my neck and rests her head against mine. My arms automatically go around her lower waist and keep her close. "He won't say anything, please just trust me. And I don't care if they fire me. You know this is not my passion." she pulls back and plays with the hem of my shirt.

"I know but if this gets out it'll all come down on you and I don't want that. That is not fair." I frown and run my hands up and down her back.

"It's not going to come out. We literally have four more months and then it's your final exams. Please don't stress about this." she sighs in a desperate voice.