{Chapter 1}

{Chapter 1}

I sit in the meadow, picking the wildflowers from the green grass. I gently tuck some flowers into my long black hair, decorating myself. My mother told me a story of a girl she decorated with flowers, but the circumstances were different then, the girl was dead. I'm very much alive, as I'd been for fourteen years.

The sun creates a friendly glow on all of the beautiful clearing, warming my skin. A light breeze rustles the grass. I tuck another flower into my hair. I should be going home soon, my mom and dad will be wondering where I've gone. But the pleasant smell and sounds of the meadow enchant me. I am simply to spellbound to move.

"Sage?" I hear my brother calling from far away. I ignore him, simply sitting in the high grasses. "Sage! Come on!"

I sigh. I grab the armful of wildflowers I'd gathered and stood. I turned to see my brother Ash cautiously making his way towards me through the high grasses. Ash's always been more hesitant about the meadow and nature in general than I have, he's always been more of a watch from afar sort of person while I've been climbing trees and getting myself in trouble all my life.

"What, Ash?" I called, walking over to him. He looked up at me with his gray eyes that were full of wonder at the meadow. He waved slightly and stopped coming towards me.

"Mom wants you home, she got a call from the Capitol and they need her and dad down there for a meeting tonight." Ash explained. I sighed, not another business trip.

"Why? Can't we just have a normal week with our parents?" I whined, passing Ash, who now struggled to keep up with my fast stride.

We left the meadow behind, entering town. The sound of friendly chatting from citizens and a street busker playing the fiddle fills my ears, the normal sounds of District 12. A few people say hello to  Ash and I as we walk through the town square, as they're familiar with either us or our parents. As I pass the bakery I run in quickly hand a flower to Richard, the baker my dad hired as help in the shop. He smiles at me and thanks me, giving me a side hug. Ash drags me from the shop.

As we enter the Seam the sun begins to sink in the sky, the tops of homes covering the golden orb. Ash and I practically run home. We approach our home; it's one of the older buildings since it was one of the first built after the bombing. My mom once told me she and dad lived in a place called Victor's Village, where people who survived the Hunger Games lived, but it was torn down after the wars ended.

We hop up the few stairs onto our deck, creaks coming from each step as we put pressure on them. Ash reaches the door first and he swings it open, the hinges squealing. I follow my little brother inside, dropping the flowers on a table. We go upstairs to our parents’ room, where my mom and dad throw clothing and other items into bags.

"We're home!" Ash announces, falling onto their plush bed. The house is old and ratty, the furniture though is nice. My dad turns to look at us, his eyes being practically identical to mine.

"Finally, you were gone for a long time today, Sage." My dad says to me. I shrug.

"I told you she's just like me." My mother points out to my dad, who rolls his eyes. It's true though, my brother got his artistic abilities and level head from our dad while I got my mom's strength and love for few things that matter. I'm also a hot-head, just like my mom.

"So where are you guys going now?" I ask with annoyance obvious in my tone.

"We have a meeting in the Capitol," My mom explains, either failing to notice my annoyance, or choosing not to respond to my tone. "The President wanted the mayors together to plan this year’s District Days gift."