three. her.

I spun around and around. My chest bubbled with excitement as I enjoyed the sensation of being weightless. I had never moved so freely, so effortlessly, beneath the lake's surface.

A turtle waved a webbed foot as it glided past me. I would have giggled if I hadn't been holding my breath.

I stretched my arms and watched my hands as they danced through the crystal clear water. Light sparkled off my fingernails.

I tilted my head back and smiled. Sunlight poured down from above, warming my face. The warmth spread, forming a band of heat around my neck. I brought my fingertips to the base of my throat. It was caged in braided metal.

Silver, I remembered. With a cluster of pearls.

The necklace Pap gave me. My birthday gift.

"How dare you."

I blinked and looked around, searching for who had spoken. No one else was in the water.

The voice was deep and tinged with sadness. Had I upset him? If so, what had I done?

I considered returning to the surface. Maybe he was up there.

I kicked my legs to ascend but was met with resistance. How strange. The water seemed to be holding me in place. I paddled my hands and feet, hoping that I could swim like the turtle. No matter what I tried, I couldn't do anything but spin and twirl at the depth where my body was suspended.

I swallowed. How long had I been down here? How long since I'd last breathed?

A stream of air bubbled toward me, spraying across my face like the crash of a wave.

I gasped.

My eyes popped open.

A water bug crawled along my arm and onto the grass.

I was under the ficus tree, near the lake.

I drew in a breath. "That was some dream."

I rubbed my eyes and a sore spot at the back of my neck. Panic clenched my chest. The necklace was gone.

But wait. I remembered taking it off before I fell asleep.

I sat up and searched, certain I'd left the necklace by the tote bag. I felt along the grass. Finding nothing, I emptied the bag of its contents.

"Where is it?" I said, rifling through used napkins and other items left over from lunch.

I hadn't heard anyone or anything while I was sleeping. Except for the male voice from my dream.

His words echoed in my head.

How dare you.

Maybe he was the person who'd stolen it. If so, then why did he say those words to me?

How dare I do what?

I clenched my fists, more upset with myself for having removed the necklace in the first place. I never should have taken it off.

I looked back at the water and shrugged. Maybe the voice had come from the lake.

I removed my shoes and paced to the edge of the water. Reflections of cattails covered its glossy surface. I dipped my feet and legs in the water, getting used to the temperature before plunging myself into the shallow end.

Finding nothing but more water, I waded a few feet farther. And then another few feet.

I groaned. There was a sudden drop, which was great for swimming. But I'd be surprised if the necklace had made it out that far.

I tread water while I continued searching below me. Every movement felt so much more difficult than it had in my dream. My arm muscles were already tightening with the effort to keep my head above water. I relaxed, letting myself sink a little, and then flipped myself into a back float to rest.

The sun had significantly lowered since my nap. If I wanted to find the necklace, I'd have to do so quickly while there was still plenty of light.

I inhaled deeply, and then bent forward and increased my efforts. The water had soaked through my hair and clothing, leaving me feeling heavier and clumsier than before. A stomach cramp pinched at my side. I hadn't planned to swim after eating.

Just as I was about to give up, a glint of shine sparkled beneath the water.

I squinted.

Something lay nestled on the lake's bed. The object had a silver sheen, but it could have been any number of things. I wasn't sure how to reach it without exiting the lake and diving down there.

I pressed my head into the water, hoping for a better look. If anything, it might help me remember the correct spot to dive to later. Maybe the necklace wasn't there. But then where else could it be?

Light from above illuminated the object as if a sunbeam burst forth from behind a cloud. Braided silver glistened. Relief and terror filled my chest as a cluster of pearls became visible and emitted an eerie glow.

I cringed at what I was going to have to tell Pap—that the gift he'd given me from Grandma's collection was at the bottom of the lake.

I floated, unable to look away, but also unsure of my options. I couldn't reach the necklace. I wondered if I should ask Pap for advice before I tried to retrieve it on my own. Would he notice me not wearing it? Do I try diving? Now or later?

Before I could form answers to these questions, a pair of hands covered the necklace and pulled it out of view.

I kicked my legs until my face burst through the water's surface. I coughed, choking on water and air.

When I'd caught my breath, I swam to the lake's edge, and pulled myself onto the grass.

My entire body began to shake.

I wrapped my arms around myself. I was positive I'd seen my necklace—and a pair of hands—beneath the water. Not the webbed hands or feet of an animal or creature, but human hands.

No one was supposed to be at the lake—it was on Pap's private property. And as far as I knew, I was his only guest.

I squeezed my eyes shut. Two images replayed in my mind that left me feeling less certain. First was the strange glow the pearls emitted beneath the water.

The second image bothered me more. An elbow that also appeared human, except for its two tiny fins.